The other day we were watching the TV show “Chopped”. It’s a great show where 4 chefs compete to create 3 dishes, with one left standing. This particular episode included ground turkey” in the basket, and at least 2 of the chefs complained that they disliked working with it. Say what? We at Madness love ground turkey. It absorbs the flavors you introduce into the recipe, so it really is like a nice, blank slate to work with. We understand the criticism that ground turkey can turn out dry. That is true of any lean meat. The key is in the preparation.
I gave myself the challenge to prepare a turkey meal in 30 minutes, though no, I didn’t use what they used in their basket. I wanted something we’d actually enjoy for lunch. The result? Here you go:
Grilled Turkey Burgers with Pear-Jalapeno Slaw
The burgers are simple to prepare. You’ll need:
- 12 ounces ground turkey, thawed
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons preferred seasonings – I always use chili powders or Cajun seasonings, but try taco seasonings or even dried Italian herbs.
- Salt to taste
- 1/4 cup white wine
- Heat a grill or grill pan to medium-high heat.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all of the ingredients and hand mix, but not too much. the best consistency is slightly lumpy.
- Form the meat into 2 patties, about 1/2 inch thick.
- Lightly spray the grill pan with spray oil and sear each side of the burgers for about 1 minute each.
- Add the white wine. It will steam up and cool the pan slightly.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cover. Cook about 12 more minutes, or until the burgers are cooked through. Do not overcook.
- Serve them on buns topped with your Pear-Jalapeno Slaw, listed below.