Now that 2012 is well on its way, we know you’re doing your best to stick to your resolutions. Most people use the new year as an opportunity to lose weight and eat healthier. Incorporating chili peppers into your diets is a tasty and great way to help.
Chili peppers are well known to be good for you – See the Health Benefits of Chili Peppers – and they are naturally low in calories yet packed with flavor. There aren’t too many natural foods like this this also pack a powerful punch. We have a number of lower calorie recipes you can try. Low calorie does not have to mean low flavor. Take chicken for example. By itself, chicken might be rather boring, and if you’re trying to keep the calories down, you don’t want to smother it in a high-fat sauce.
As an alternative, try our Jalapeno-Apple Stuffed Chicken recipe. It is packed with flavor, a combination of sweet with the apples and spicy with the jalapenos, and full on delicious.
- 4 large chicken breasts
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 apple, cored and diced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 4 ounces Italian sausage, cooked and crumbled
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasonings
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice a small pouch into the side of each chicken breast to accommodate the stuffing.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine apple, jalapeno peppers, Parmesan cheese, Italian sausage and seasonings. Mix well.
- Place the stuffing into the pouches in the chicken breasts and place on a lightly spray-oiled baking sheet. Use toothpicks if needed to hold the pouches together.
- Bake 25-30 minutes, or until chicken is cooked thoroughly through.
Happy New Year, and may all your dreams come true.
If you enjoy our recipes and information, we hope you’ll check out our cookbooks as well.