A comfort food mashup recipe of fluffy Italian gnocchi and all your favorite nacho ingredients, including loads of melted cheese, chorizo, homemade guacamole, jalapeno peppers and more. Decadent and delicious!
Yeah, so, these are just...DANG! #YUM, right off the bat. Mashup recipes are super fun. You take two different dishes, particularly from completely different cultures, and smash them together to see what sort of dish results. It isn't always a success. Something you wind up with weird flavors and textures you're unsure of, with a plate that leaves you quizzical more than anything.
Not so with this recipe! This one is SUPER SUCCESSFUL. We're talking Extra Cheesy Gnocchi Nachos, baby. Add this to your next party menu. Or hey, make it just for dinner.
I like to make large batches of gnocchi and freeze them so I can whip together gnocchi dishes anytime we want, which hey, is often. Gnocchi is so good, these pillowy little dumplings that soak up whatever sauce you throw at them. Even from frozen, they cook up in only a few minutes. Just toss them into boiling water and wait for them to float. Done! And speaking of sauce, no sauce here today, folks. In lieu of sauce, we're bringing in those nacho ingredients, particularly a LOT of shredded cheddar cheese, and we're going to town.
In a nutshell, you'll cook the chorizo in a 10-inch pan - this is for 2 servings, by the way. It is super easy to scale up. With the chorizo about half way done, toss in the jalapeno peppers and sear them until they start to char a bit and blacken around the edges. I LOVE them this way. Toss in the garlic for a bit, then add in your cooked gnocchi, which you can quickly boil while the chorizo and jalapeno peppers are cooking. Crisp up the cooked gnocchi in the pan a bit.
Toss on the cheese and cover it all up. Use a minimum of 3 ounces cheddar cheese to shred, but you can fit more. It all depends on how cheesy you want it! Extra cheese for me, please! Melt that cheese down and you're nearly ready.
Top it all with your favorite nacho toppings, like homemade guacamole, extra jalapeno, diced tomato, yackity-schmackity. You know what you like. It's nachos! With gnocchi. Yeah. Enjoy!
Mmmm. So CHEESY.
Patty's Perspective: All I can say is AMAZING!! What an interesting mashup. Comfort food to the extreme!
Extra Cheesy Gnocchi Nachos – Recipe
- 6 ounces chorizo
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces prepared gnocchi
- 3 ounces (minimum) cheddar cheese, shredded - add more for EXTRA CHEESY!
- Homemade guacamole for serving
- 1 chopped tomato for serving
- Get a pot of salted water boiling for when you’re ready to cook the gnocchi.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add the chorizo. Cook it about 3 minutes, breaking it apart as you go along.
- Add the jalapeno peppers and cook about 6-7 minutes to soften and char the jalapeno peppers.
- Toss the gnocchi into the boiling water and boil them about 3-4 minutes, or until they begin to float.
- While gnocchi is cooking, add garlic to the pan and cook for 1 minute, stirring.
- Scoop the gnocchi into the pan along with a couple tablespoons of the pasta water. Stir and cook to crisp up the gnocchi a bit.
- Add cheese over the top of the ingredients and reduce heat to low. Cover and allow cheese to melt.
- Top with homemade guacamole and chopped tomato.