Tacos for breakfast? Yes! With spicy pulled pork and scrambled eggs, topped with a quick enchilada sauce, avocado, roasted jalapenos and shredded cheese. Here is the recipe.
Come on, now. Admit it. You LOVE tacos for breakfast. Don't you? What's not to love? It doesn't have to be TUESDAY for tacos. Tacos are great any day of the week, because, truly, it is one of the best foods in the universe. And today we have Tacos in the Morning! YES! In the form of pulled pork tacos mixed with creamy scrambled eggs and all the fixings piled on, along with a quick and easy enchilada sauce recipe that I've used a few times in the past. It works wonders when you don't have any other sauce on hand and need something fast because you'rer getting hangry. Someone serve the breakfast already, will ya?
If you're in the mood for a different sauce, I recommend either a good picante sauce, or simply bust out your favorite hot sauce. Try this picante sauce recipe, which we love. Your sauce choice will transform the dish, so if you have three different sauce options, I'm SO SO SORRY to tell you that you will need to have this breakfast recipe THREE TIMES. Just be sure to report back to us which version you prefer. This is very important. Let your taste buds make the decision!
I was able to make this quickly from the smoked pork shoulder I made several weeks ago. That delicious hunk of awesomeness has been giving and giving. It's lasted quite awhile. I separated it into small portions and froze it all, allowing us to grab out any amount needed for a recipe, whether large or small. You don't need much for this recipe, only an ounce per taco, as the eggs and toppings will round out the meal. Use your favorite recipe for making pulled pork, whether you are smoking it, slow cooking, easy braise, however you like! I like a LOT of seasonings. FYI.
Patty's Perspective: LOVE. Insert HEART icon here. You can turn breakfast into a taco any day in my book. I love that there is so much flavor packed into this taco, and it was very fast to make because of the leftover pulled pork. We need to keep it in the freezer always. This is also ideal for serving a large group, as you can pull something like together quickly and easily scale it up.
Breakfast Pulled Pork Tacos – Recipe
- FOR THE ENCHILADA SAUCE
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ¼ cup red chili powder
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1-1/2 cups vegetable or chicken broth
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- FOR THE TACOS
- 6 ounces cooked pulled pork
- 6 soft corn tortilla shells, warmed
- 3 large eggs
- Splash of olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeno pepper, roasted and sliced
- Shredded pepper jack cheese for serving
- Get your enchilada sauce going. Heat a large pan to medium heat. Add oil and get it nice and warm.
- Add flour and chili powder. Reduce heat to low and stir constantly, about 5 minutes, until the mixture browns.
- Add in tomato paste, broth, cumin and garlic powder. Stir to incorporate.
- Allow the mixture to thicken up and become consistent, stirring often. Add water to thin, if desired.
- Salt and pepper to taste, then set aside until ready to use.
- Heat another pan to medium heat. Add pulled pork along with half of the red enchilada sauce. Stir and keep warm.
- While pork is heating up, heat another small pan to medium heat. Add a splash of olive oil.
- Scramble the eggs and season with salt and pepper. Cook them just a couple minutes, until they are cooked through, but still moist.
- Warm your tortillas and stack them with pulled pork, a couple scoops of scrambled eggs, more of the enchilada sauce, avocado, cheese and roasted jalapeno peppers.