These chicken burgers are made with tangy Buffalo sauce and they're overflowing with blue cheese that's been stuffed into the center. They're juicy and tender and yes, you will want more.
Oftentimes we like to prepare certain foods ahead of time or in bulk and freeze some of it for enjoying later. This is one of those recipes. It evolved as an exercise of clearing out the refrigerator and realizing we had some ground chicken that needed to be cooked. I went back and forth hin my head - Meatballs? Pasta? Tacos? - but landed on BURGERS when I realized we ALSO had some blue cheese left from a previous meal.
Blue cheese is so good. Not everyone does. It's a powerful cheese and it can easily overtake the other flavors in a dish, but it stands up nicely to the tangy flavors of Buffalo sauce and the lovely spiciness of chili peppers. And they sure look yummy. Take a look.
Get yourself a nice sear on them and top them with a brush of melted butter and some additional blue cheese crumbles. NOM NOM NOM. We chowed these down. The recipe makes 4 good-sized patties. We had 2 for lunch and froze the other 2 for a later time, and they were just as good.
The combination is a classic one. Buffalo sauce and blue cheese. You season up the ground chicken with cooked vegetables - don't forget the chili peppers! - and round it out with sauce, blue cheese and a bit of panko to bind it up just enough. Don't overdo the panko. Or the salt and pepper. If you want extra spice, toss in some chile powders or a nice Cajun blend of ingredients. Taco seasonings work nicely, too.
You can sear and cook them over the stove or on the grill. Whatever works best for you!
Blue Cheese-Buffalo Chicken Burgers Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound ground chicken
- ¼ cup panko
- ¼ cup Buffalo sauce – add more if you want more of the Buffalo sauce flavor
- 3-4 ounces crumbled blue cheese – add more if you want yours cheesier
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Melted butter for serving
- Buns for serving
- First, heat a pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add jalapeno peppers and onion and cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Next, add garlic and cook about a minute, stirring.
- Add the mixture to a mixing bowl and cool.
- Add ground chicken, panko, Buffalo sauce and most of the crumbled blue cheese. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Hand mix. Do not overmix or the burgers will become mealy.
- Next, for the mixture into 4 burger patties.
- Heat the pan again to medium and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Cook the burgers about 5 minutes per side, or until they are cooked through.
- Last, lightly brush with butter then serve on buns with extra blue cheese crumbles. We added in some crisp lettuce and tomato slices. Yum!