A recipe for perfect, thick, juicy turkey burgers generously seasoned with taco seasoning, topped with cheddar cheese, seared jalapenos and sliced avocado. You haven't had a turkey burger until you've had this one.
So I busted out the grill and grilled us up some more turkey burgers because I just couldn't help myself. I've been seriously craving a good turkey burger lately and had to do it. You probably know by now my love for turkey burgers. I mean, check out our Burgers Recipes section of the web site and see how many are recipes for turkey burgers.
I see some older recipes that need to be reshot! Whoa! On the list, my friends...
The thing about turkey burgers is they're so fun to experiment with. I LOVE a good beef burger, but you really shouldn't do much to beef burgers. If you start with top quality ground beef, the ingredients do the work for themselves. With turkey burgers, there isn't a TON of flavor off the bat, so you need to layer in seasonings and ingredients to build it up. This is positive thing! Ground turkey is a blank slate, meaning it will absorb whatever flavors you throw at it and give them back to you in every bite.
Like these babies. Taco Turkey Burgers! Yes!
You definitely get a solid "taco" taste with every bite you take.
These are quite easy to make. The patties are made from ground turkey seasoned with your favorite taco seasoning blend mixed with freshly sliced jalapeno peppers, onion, egg and breadcrumbs to help bind the meat. They're either seared in a grill pan or grilled outside until perfectly cooked, then topped with sliced roasted jalapeno peppers, sliced avocado, and melty cheddar cheese, basically all of your favorite taco ingredients.
You can easily add in other traditional taco toppings, like fresh cilantro, guacamole, different cheeses, black olives, refried beans, you name it. This turkey burger recipe will accept you for what you love to eat. I tossed on some grilled cherry tomatoes from the garden along with some tortilla chips for a quick side. Why not?
Don't forget your favorite hot sauce! What's a taco, or taco turkey burger, without hot sauce? Try out some of our own homemade hot sauce recipes.
Apologies in advance for making these turkey burgers too big. Part of the issue are the darned tiny buns I keep buying. My fault! I'm not a glutton, I swear. But the real reason is they are just so darned good, I can't help but make a SLIGHTLY bigger burger for myself.
Consider these for a quick and easy weeknight meal for your family. They're super easy to put together, and everyone will love a good turkey burger with all the flavorings of a taco. Try them out on Taco Tuesday!
Taco Turkey Burgers – Recipe
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 3-4 tablespoons taco seasoning, or more to taste - try our Homemade Taco Seasoning
- 1 medium jalapeno, diced
- 1 small white onion, diced
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- Olive oil as needed
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- FOR SERVING
- 4 buns
- Sliced avocado
- Charred tomatoes
- Sliced seared jalapeno peppers
- Tortilla chips on the side
- Add the ground turkey, taco seasonings, diced jalapeno, onion, egg and bread crumbs to a large bowl. Hand mix, but do not overmix or the burgers can become mealy.
- Form the burgers into 4 quarter pound patties.
- Heat the oil in a large pan and add the burger patties. Sear a couple minutes on each side, then cover and cook until they are cooked through completely, about 10 minutes.
- Top each with cheddar cheese and cover. Cook until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Serve on buns and top with sliced avocado and seared jalapeno peppers, with some chips and charred tomatoes on the side.
Makes 4 burgers.