A recipe for spicy chicken meatballs made with jalapeno peppers and serrano peppers (optional!), served with classic Buffalo sauce, then topped with blue cheese crumbles. Pure Madness style.
Bring on the Buffalo Chicken Meatballs! This delicious recipe has been added to both Mike's Favorites and Patty's Favorites. They seriously POP with huge flavor and, truly, Buffalo sauce will always be a favorite here. We're also thinking ahead to the big GAME DAY that is rushing upon us. If you're planning a party and you're the one serving the food, or if you need to bring a dish to share, this might be the one. Yum.
These chicken meatballs are zingy and tangy and they have just the right amount of heat to them. Why? Because we've incorporated a jalapeno pepper as well as a serrano pepper for some pleasant flavor and heat. However! If serrano peppers are too spicy for you, you DO have a couple options. First, consider coring the serrano pepper before using it. Most of the heat is on the inside. Or, you can omit the serrano pepper and double up on the jalapeno pepper. Problem solved! Just don't forget the chili peppers . They are necessary to the success of this dish. Hey, it's Chili Pepper Madness style!
Let's talk about the Buffalo sauce. This is a super quick homemade version. Use your favorite starter hot pepper sauce, something simple like Frank's or Valentina, and mix in your ingredients. It's ready in five minutes. The recipe is below. If you want to go purely homemade, start with a good Louisiana style hot sauce and go from there, like this Roasted Red Jalapeno Pepper Hot Sauce or this Super Hot Hot Sauce Recipe I made recently. Whoa! Talk about heat. Beware. You might scare people with the latter recipe.
Patty's Perspective: I LOVE the flavors Mike infused into these Buffalo Chicken Meatballs. The flavor and spiciness are really kicked up a notch above the heat of the Buffalo sauce. He's also seriously converting me into a blue cheese lover. I never loved blue cheese, but when it is paired this way, it is a perfect combination. These would be great on their own as a meal, served as an appetizer with toothpicks for gameday, or on a toasted roll as a sandwich.
Buffalo Chicken Meatballs - A Chili Pepper Madness Style Recipe
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 celery stalk, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, chopped (optional)
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon taco seasonings (Cajus is GREAT here as well)
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1-1/4 pound ground chicken
- 1 cup panko
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled blue cheese for serving
- Chopped scallions for serving
- FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 cup hot pepper sauce (see notes abovee)
- 4 teaspoons butter
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a large pan to medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil and heat.
- Add celery, onion and chili peppers. Cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook 1 minute, stirring.
- Remove from heat and add contents to a mixing bowl. Cool slightly.
- Add taco seasonings, egg, chicken and panko. Salt and pepper to your tastes.
- Form the mixture into 1-inch meatballs. You should get about 20 meatballs.
- Heat the pan again to medium heat and add remaining olive oil. Cook the meatballs 2-3 minutes per side, roughly 10 minutes total, until they are cooked through. Remove from heat.
- While chicken is cooking, add pepper sauce, butter, garlic powder and salt and pepper to a small pot. Heat gently, stirring, until butter is melted.
- Pour Buffalo sauce over the chicken meatballs and serve topped with crumbled blue cheese and scallions.