A hearty one-pot chili recipe with plenty of seasoned chicken, Great White Northern beans and loads of seasonings. Good old comfort food!
We like a spicy white bean chicken chili as an alternative to more traditional tomato-based chili recipes, just to mix things up every once in a while. This one is easy to make. You can also just toss it all into a crock pot after step 2 below and wait.
White Bean Chicken Chili - Recipe
- 3 cups cooked chicken, chopped or shredded
- 2 cans white northern beans, drained (16 ounce cans)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chilies
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- To a medium frying pan, add oil and onion. Saute about 5 minutes, or until onion becomes tender.
- Add garlic and cumin. Saute about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add green chilies, jalapenos, chicken, beans, chicken stock, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine milk and cornmeal. Stir.
- Stir cornmeal mixture into chili and simmer about 10 minutes to thicken.