This recipe is very popular for parties that we have in the neighborhood. Everyone enjoys the chicken chili for the flavor, but it also isn't overly spicy. We have a number of people around here that can't handle the superhot heat that I personally often enjoy, and that is understable. I know I can get a bit off the charts sometimes. Chilis are ideal for party situations because you can make them ahead of time - in fact, the chili is better the longer it sits - but also because you can make it in the slow cooker. Prep is super easy and you just let it sit there while you get your party decorations done. The Halloween Party was a big success!
White Bean Chicken Chili
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Cajun seasonings
- 4-6 jalapeno peppers, diced
- 2 small onions, diced
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 cans white northern beans, drained (16 ounce cans)
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 can wheat beer
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoon cornmeal
- 1/2 cup milk
- Heat a large frying pan to medium heat and add 1 teaspoon olive oil.
- Rub down chicken breasts with garlic and Cajun seasonings and set them in the pan. Cook about 5 minutes, then flip and cook an additional 6 minutes, or until the chicken breasts are cooked through. Remove from pan and cool slightly, then chop and set them into a crockpot.
- To the pan, add remaining oil, onion and jalapeno peppers. Saute about 5 minutes, or until ingredients becomes tender.
- Add garlic and cumin. Saute about 1 minute, until fragrant. Add mixture into the crockpot.
- To the crockpot, add beans, chicken stock, wheat beer, oregano and salt and pepper to taste.
- Slow cook on medium for 5-6 hours until everything mixes nicely.
- If you'd like to thicken your chili, then in a small mixing bowl, combine milk and cornmeal. Stir.
- Stir cornmeal mixture into chilli and simmer about 30 minutes to thicken.
- Serve with fixins like chopped onion, shredded cheese, crema and more.