It's Thirsty Thirteenth! Time for a new cocktail! October brings us several wonderful things that we only get to enjoy for a short time a year. Fall leaves make the chilling of the temps more pleasant, and pumpkins everywhere get you in the mood for Halloween and all the exciting flavors of fall. Ahh! Pumpkin. I simply had to make a pumpkin drink filled with fall spices and chili pepper heat. This drink is surprisingly tasty. It might sound like a weird combination but if you love the taste of fall and some spiciness, you will love this. There are a number of different flavors going on that meld very nicely. You can easily make a big batch of the habanero pumpkin simple syrup and then mix up the drinks quickly for a party, or if you are inviting the parents of the neighborhood trick-or-treaters in for a cocktail.
If you want more of a margarita flavor, use a whole lime and less sugar in the syrup. But if you want more of that pumpkin flavor and sweetness, add more of the pumpkin syrup.
This has a bit of a kick, but not super overpowering if you can handle habanero heat. If you are less tolerant, use half a habanero or any milder or sweet pepper. Chili peppers pair well with pumkin as well as margaritas so it’s a nice added flavor.
Habanero Pumpkin Spiced Margarita
- 1-1/2 cup water
- 1-1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 habanero, sliced
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 tablespoons pumpkin puree
- 2 ounces tequila
- 1/2 ounce orange liquor
- 1/2 lime
Directions for habanero-pumpkin simple syrup:
- Add water to a sauce pan on medium-high heat.
- Add brown sugar and stir until completely dissolved.
- Turn heat to low and stir in pumpkin puree.
- Add habanero slices, cinnamon sticks and seasonings.
- Cook for about 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Strain liquid. Makes about 1 cup.
Directions for margarita:
- Add ice to a shaker.
- Add 3 ounces habanero-pumpkin syrup, tequila and orange liquor.
- Squeeze juice from half a lime and shake vigorously.
- Sprinkle salt, brown sugar, nutmeg and cinnamon on a small plate.
- Wet the edge of the glass and rim the glass with the mixture.
- Poor in the margarita and enjoy.