A quick and easy pasta dish tossed with a flavorful sauce made with hummus, fish sauce and soy sauce, and tossed with your favorite chili peppers.
File this one under Quick and Easy! I love it. I've been playing around with a lot of recipes lately, trying to find quick and easy meals that actually satisfy the both of us. As you know, we run a web site development business and I am a fairly active writer (just sold a screenplay, yo!!), so we NEED meals some days that can be whipped together FAST.
However! Fast doesn't mean it has to be boring. I mean, anyone can throw a slice of bologna on a piece of bread with a squirt of mustard and say, "Hey, see? Fast!" Sorry, that just doesn't hit the spot where we live. That's how we roll!
Oftentimes, for speed, I turn to pasta. Pasta noodles can be cooked very quickly. You just need to get the water boiling, add in your salt and noodles, and wait until they're properly softened up. Egg noodles cook even faster than other types of noodles. Bonus points. While the noodles are cooking, you can whisk up your sauce and have it ready for when the noodles are done. Toss it all together with your favorite cooked chili peppers and BANG! FAST LUNCH! I make variations of this all the time.
It's certainly worth mentioning that you can include other veggies in this recipe. It's a good refrigerator clearing meal. Toss in any of those straggling vegetables, like sugar snap peas, a few asparagus, beans, any other pepper. Go crazy! See how you like it. I'm always on the lookout for quick and easy sauce mixes to toss with pasta. Got suggestions? Send them along!
Quick Hummus Pasta with Peppers Recipe
- ½ cup Hummus (we used a Roasted Red Pepper Hummus we made, but any prepared hummus will do!)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- Juice from half a lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil (a good chili pepper oil ROCKS here)
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped (I cut mine into rings)
- 1 medium bell pepper, sliced (Use a red or orange pepper for color and some sweeter flavor)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2-1/2 cups egg noodles, prepared
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Prepare your sauce by combining hummus, soy sauce, fish sauce and lemon juice in a bowl. Whisk together. Season with a bit of salt and pepper. Set aside
- Heat a wok or large pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Add peppers and cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add prepared egg noodles along with your hummus sauce and toss to warm.
- Set into a couple serving bowls and top with scallions.