A side dish recipe you can make on the grill, with grilled corn, sweet peppers, and crumbled feta cheese. Great for holiday parties and summer gatherings.
Labor Day is coming up, and that means gatherings and barbecuing, at least around here. For us, it signals that summer is coming to an end and soon enough we'll be bundling up in autumn sweaters with a chill settling into the air. But not yet! Right now we're still enjoying weather in the 80s and my grill will not go down without a fight. This weekend, our neighborhood is getting together for a Backyard Olympics competition. We'll play goofy games and visit with each other, drink a few beers or cocktails, and rest assured, we will be grilling.
If you're bringing a dish to pass for YOUR party or other gathering, consider this grilled corn salad dish with grilled corn on the cob.
I want to give a shout out to Bon Appetit Magazine for inspiring this recipe. I was paging through old issues - who doesn't do this? - and I found a grilled corn salad made with Mexican ingredients, and BOOM! This recipe popped into my head. Instead of Mexican style, I incorporated more Mediterranean ingredients. You can go as spicy as you'd like to, even go crazy if you're up for it with habanero peppers, maybe some ghost peppers. Superhots anyone? Yes! But this works great with sweet peppers so the entire crowd can enjoy the dish.
I wanted a bit of a spicy kick to it, so I included a sliced cayenne pepper. Hey, I do like my spice, you know! You can make this quickly, as the only cooking is the corn on the grill. Everything else is simply chopping, squeezing and mixing. In a nutshell, get your grill going then rub the husked corn down with olive oil. Grill them until they are nice and charred, then cool and slice off the kernels. Toss them into a bowl with all of your other ingredients and you're good to go.
You can serve this warm or cold. It's quick and convenient to bring to a party. I hope you're next gathering is a huge success! It will be with this dish to pass around. Grilled corn salad! Enjoy!
Grilled Corn Salad with Feta and Sweet Peppers – Recipe
- 8 ears corn, husked
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium white onion, minced
- 3-4 small colorful sweet peppers, some sliced, some chopped
- 1 spicy red pepper (like a cayenne or fingerling), sliced
- Juice from 1 lime
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 3 ounces crumble feta cheese
- ¼ cup fresh chopped basil
- Salt to taste
- Heat a grill to medium heat. Rub the corn down with 2 tablespoons olive oil and grill them about 20 minutes, turning often, until the corn is lightly charred. Cool and slice off the kernels. Set into a large mixing bowl.
- Add onion to a separate bowl and cover with water. Soak for 10 minutes and drain. Add onions to mixing bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Adjust for salt as desired.
- Spoon into a serving bowl and serve.