A simple yet flavorful side dish made fast with grilled summer squash, a mixture of chili peppers, fresh basil and crumbly feta cheese, all tossed with lightly toasted almonds and a lemony dressing. Here is the recipe.
It's party season, that's for sure. We've already been to a number of gatherings and it's been great. So many wonderful people to visit with, catch up with, have a beer with! That's one thing we love dearly about summer. All the gatherings. One issue we often have is - What the heck should we bring? I'm notorious for bringing poppers to parties, and hey, no problem here! But there is often a dearth of side dishes. Sure, you can fill your buns with burgers and hot dogs, but I enjoy many of the sides to go along with them. So for the next party, I'm bringing this dish - Grilled Summer Squash with Peppers, Basil and Feta Cheese. Are you a fan of summer squash? No? You will be after this recipe.
Growing up, we would have squash on occasion, but it never went over in our house because it was always sort of mushy and served by itself. No real seasoning, overcooked. Blech. Now that I've grown, I've come to appreciate the flavor of summer squash, but with a bit of attention to the preparation and ingredients paired with it, summer squash can be the hero it deserves to be. I mean, summer squash is good for you! You should eat more of it, right? It's inexpensive and it's literally EVERYWHERE right now, so truly, you need to get cooking with summer squash. Right now. Today. Print this recipe.
This one has to be my new FAVE for summer squash. I really love this one - Grilled Squash with Mint and Chili Flakes - but here we have feta cheese. YUM. And toasted almonds. And peppers. And lemon. Dang. Into it. So hard to choose between them. This one for now.
Squash grills up so quickly and easily, you can have this recipe done in 20 minutes or so. It's mostly just chopping and tossing, with a bit of grilling. Super easy! So if you're in need of a side dish in a hurry, keep some summer squash on hand for those particular days, or for those days you want something that will impress that doesn't require a lot of work. Yeah, I like those on hot summer days. Quick and easy. And tasty. I hope you enjoy the recipe!
Grilled Summer Squash with Peppers, Basil and Feta Cheese – Recipe
- 2 summer squash
- 2 jalapeno peppers
- 2 red fingerling peppers (you can sub in other peppers to your preference)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil + 4 tablespoons
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 ounces crumbled feta cheese
- ½ cup lightly toasted almonds, crumbled
- 1 handful basil leaves, chopped
- 4 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- Juice from half a lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a grill to medium heat.
- Cut off the ends of the squash and slice them down the middle lengthwise. Do the same for the peppers. Leave smaller peppers whole.
- Add the squash and peppers to a large mixing bowl. Add 2 tablespoons olive oil, chili powder, garlic, basil, and salt and pepper. Toss to coat.
- Grill the veggies about 10 minutes, until they are cooked through but not too soft. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Peel the skins from the peppers if desired.
- Rough chop the veggies and add them to a mixing bowl.
- Add feta cheese, almonds and basil leaves.
- Whisk together the remaining olive oil, vinegar and lemon juice until emulsified. Pour over the veggie mixture. Toss to coat.
- Adjust for salt and serve.