A recipe for hearty, chili-like soup with all your favorite taco ingredients, including ground beef, lots of chili peppers and tomatoes, taco seasonings and all the fixins, all cooked up slow in the crockpot. Super easy!
We busted out the slow cooker/crock pot this week and it's ready to go for the season! It's all kinds of seasons right now, isn't it? We have the fall season, football season, tailgating season, holiday season, pshew! So many seasons all swirled into one. One thing that goes with any of these seasons is slow cooked soups and stews in the crock pot. As the weather cools, so many of us are looking for warming, hearty dishes that fill our bellies and bones with comfort. We have just the thing for you spicy food lovers - Crock Pot Taco Soup. Yes!
I love my slow cooker because you can just toss everything in and let it go. It really doesn't get much easier than this when it comes to cooking, unless you order takeout, which isn't cooking! So if you want super easy, go for the crock pot. In a nutshell, brown up your ground beef and cook with your onions and peppers. I used a mixture of jalapeno, habanero and bell peppers, though feel free to vary that up to your preference. The habaneros are obviously quite hot and you can omit if they are too hot for you. Don't leave out the jalapenos, though. Poor little guys. #JalapenoObsession. #MikeLovesJalapenos. Add the garlic and taco seasonings and give it a quick simmer.
Toss all of this into the slow cooker with everything else - tomatoes, tomato sauce, beans, chicken stock - and let it sit. All day. I work from home so I often torture myself with the slow cooker, smelling all those wonderful aromas filling the house as I sit in my office, banging away on the keyboard on some screenplay or article, being driven mad with hunger. The anticipation makes the meal so much better.
I use red beans in this recipe, which gives the result a distinct chili-like feel. Call it a Mexican-style Chili if you'd like. It's really not that different. Regardless, it's DANG good in a bowl. GO NUTS with your fixins. I roasted some jalapeno peppers, sliced up an avocado, added shredded cheese, crema, cilantro and lime juice. Hot sauce would be AWESOME here. Try crushed tortilla chips for crunch. Go for whatever you'd like with your favorite taco toppings. I hope you enjoy the recipe! Enjoy the start of the "season"!
Crock Pot Taco Soup - Recipe
- 2 pounds ground beef
- Olive oil as needed
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4-5 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 2 habanero peppers, chopped (you can omit or use milder peppers!)
- 1 bell pepper, chopped (use red or orange for a nice color)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 8 tablespoons taco seasoning (You can dial it back to your preference)
- 2 28-ounce cans whole tomatoes – Or use equivalent fresh tomatoes – GO GARDEN!!!
- 16 ounces tomato sauce
- 2 12-ounce can red beans
- 2 cups chicken stock
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Lime wedges
- FOR SERVING/OPTIONAL/IDEAS
- Chopped green onions, Chopped cilantro, Jalapeno slices, Lime wedges, Tortilla chips, Shredded cheddar cheese, Sour cream, avocado – anything you might put on a taco
- Heat a large pot to medium heat and add a couple tablespoons olive oil. Add ground beef along with onion and peppers. Cook about 8-10 minutes to brown the meat and soften the onion and peppers.
- Add garlic and stir. Cook another minute or so.
- Add taco seasoning and stir to incorporate.
- Add everything to a crock pot/slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve into bowls and squeeze a bit of lime juice over the top, then swirl it in. Just a bit, about ¼ to ½ a lime.
- Top with your desired ingredients. We used some cilantro, green onions, jalapeno slices, tortilla chips, cheddar cheese and lime wedges. So good!
Makes a HUGE batch!!! Now you have lunch, dinner, and lunch again!