I'm starting up a whole new category on the Chili Pepper Madness web site. It's called Quick and Easy Recipes. As you already know, Patty and I work from home. We run a web site development business and I am a writer (just sold another screenplay, yo!), so on our crazy busy days, we need meals quickly. I KNOW we can run down the street for a sammich or down to our favorite Taqueria for a burrito, but hey, I'm obsessed with cooking! I'm a TOTAL chilehead with a hankering for spicy food! Besides, there is nothing like a home cooked meal, as I'm sure you would agree.
Just because food is done quickly doesn't mean it can't be good. By "quick and easy", by the way, I'm talking 30 minutes or less. Not like, "Let's whip out some lunch meat and slap it on some bleached white bread" type of quick and easy. I want food with flavor! Like this Spicy Italian Sausage Soup. Oh yeah! It doesn't take long to prepare. Pull an Italian sausage or two from the refrigerator, cook it up with some peppers and garlic, toss in your broth, tomato sauce, basil. We keep a small basil plant in our kitchen and it produces most of the year, but I have some frozen as well. Works great.
I also keep some roasted peppers in oil that makes this recipe even FASTER. That's part of the key - having ingredients on hand to get a satisfying meal done fast. Don't forget the Parmesan or Romano cheese on top! If you have it on hand, that is. You better! Just like all those peppers you have in the house, you crazy chilehead, you.
Italian Sausage Soup Recipe with Roasted Peppers and Serranos
- 8 ounces Italian Sausage
- 5-6 Serrano peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, roasted and chopped
- 1 12-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1-2 cups chicken broth (depending on how thick you'd like your final soup)
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1 cup pasta shells
- Shredded Parmesan or Romano cheese for serving
- Heat a soup pot to medium heat and add sausage with serrano peppers. Stir and cook 7-8 minutes, or until sausage is mostly cooked through.
- Add garlic and cook another minute, stirring.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a quick boil.
- Reduce heat and cook about 15 minutes, until pasta is nice and soft and the flavors have developed.
- Serve with Parmesan or Romano cheese!