I've said this many times - chili peppers are the ideal vessels for stuffing. Not all of them, of course, but there are so many large ones out there in the world, just begging for you to stuff them. The larger peppers tend to be sweeter and milder, with thicker flesh that stand up to baking or your preferred preparation. Stuffed peppers are also the perfect meal. A veggie serving in every bite! You can turn any number of meals into a stuffed pepper meal. For this recipe, I used the sweet Liebesapfel chili pepper. Liebesapfel, you say? Yes, I did! It is a cute little pepper that looks quite a bit like an apple or a tiny gourd or pumpkin. The flavor is sweet and the flesh is rather thick, though not as thick as a sweet bell pepper. The name is German and it means "Love Apple". Very cool name, if you ask me, and I think you WILL love this pepper. Learn more about the Liebesapfel Chili Pepper Here.
Chicken and Feta Stuffed Liebesapfel Sweet Peppers
- 6 Liebesapfel Sweet Peppers
- 6 ounces chicken, chopped
- ½ white onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 6 basil leaves, chopped
- 4 teaspoons crumbled feta cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Olive oil as needed
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Heat a pan to medium heat and lightly oil.
- Add onion and cook about 3 minutes.
- Add chicken and cook another 5-6 minutes, or until chicken is cooked mostly through, stirring often.
- Add garlic and basil and stir. Cook for 1 minute.
- Remove from heat and add to a mixing bowl to cool slightly.
- Add feta cheese and mix well.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slice off the tops of the peppers and scoop out the innards.
- Fill the peppers with your chicken-feta mixture, then set into a lightly oiled baking dish.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes, then remove.