Take all the best parts of your favorite chicken taco and turn it into a stuffed pepper. Here is the recipe. Yep. Stuffed peppers done up chicken taco style.
Today I unapologetically offer up yet another stuffed pepper recipe. Nope. I have absolutely ZERO regrets. I mean, stuffed chili peppers are just the way to go in this wild and crazy world where the strange and bizarre are commonplace, like the popularity of Kanye West (Hey, he's from Chicago!) or Trump for President (Not judging! It just came out of the blue!). Never would have guessed those. But stuffed peppers ground me to reality, and that is what is needed in these troubled times. When you find yourself a bit lost and meandering aimlessly, a good stuffed pepper recipe will bring you home. Hence! See below.
These babies are grilled up to what I call perfection. We were both totally in the mood for chicken tacos, but as I opened the fridge to collect the ingredients, a true HORROR set over me. NO TORTILLAS! OMG. Have you ever encountered such a travesty? Luckily I was able to overcome the issue, and in spades, I might add, as some lovely bell peppers were tucked quietly in the corner of the crisper, unassuming, attempting to not draw any attention to themselves. But I noticed. And DANG! Super happy for that.
So! We took all of our favorite chicken taco components and turned them into a stuffed pepper recipe. So good. So delicious. I can never get enough stuffed peppers. Does that make me insane? Nah. Just hungry.
Patty's Perspective: I am a huge fan of brightly colored bell peppers, so I was very happy, actually, that we ran out of tortillas. Lucky for me! Anytime stuffed peppers are on the menu, I'm in. These were delicious. We can run out of tortillas anytime, as long as we have peppers for stuffing in the house. And hey, we ALWAYS have peppers in the house. If we ran out of those, that would be the TRUE travesty.
Chicken Taco Stuffed Peppers Recipe
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped – or any spicy pepper will do
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 large chicken breast, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons taco seasonings
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 medium sized bell peppers – or use Anaheim peppers, poblano pepper, or any other pepper large enough to stuff.
- Chopped cilantro
- Sour cream or crema for serving
- Your favorite hot sauce for serving
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Add onion and jalapeno pepper and cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and stir. Cook another minute. Set the cooked vegetables aside.
- Season chicken with salt and pepper and set into the hot pan. Sear each side a couple minutes, then add chicken stock.
- Reduce heat and simmer the chicken about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Shred with a fork and turn up the heat to reduce the amount of liquid in the pan. If needed, you can add a bit more stock. You can there to be a good amount of moisture.
- Add cooked vegetables, taco seasonings and a few dashes of hot sauce. Simmer about 10 minutes or so to allow the flavors to develop.
- Remove from heat and add half the cheese. Stir to incorporate.
- Slice the bell peppers in half lengthwise and core them out. Stuff each with the chicken taco mixture.
- Heat a grill to medium and grill the peppers with the lid closed about 15 minutes, or until the peppers are softened and beginning to char.
- Serve topped with cilantro, extra cheese, crema or sour cream, and hot sauce!