More stuffed peppers coming your way. Of course! At Chili Pepper Madness, we sort of LOVE cooking with chili peppers, and that means chili peppers of ALL types, and if I've said it once, I've said it probably ten million times by now - We LOVE stuffed peppers! Chili peppers are the perfect vessels for all sorts of stuffing. I mean, look at them. They're hollow, right? You slice off the top and peer down into that lonely emptiness and think, this poor little thing needs some company. Or you slice them in half right down the center and you're left with perfectly formed bowls. All you need to do is get creative.
In this case, creative doesn't have to mean complicated. In fact, it is rather easy. We went with an Italian style stuffed bell pepper recipe this time, working with some gorgeous red and yellow bells. Green peppers would work just as well here, though I was going for some color. The stuffing combination includes spicy Italian sausage, tomato sauce, basil, parmesan cheese, and a few more chili peppers tossed into the mix to round out the flavors and provide a little bite - the jalapeno pepper and the Anaheim pepper, two of the most popular peppers in the world. Toss in a habanero or something even hotter if you'd like. Either way, we're talking simple and we're talking flavor. Cook, stuff, bake, serve. Easy. We like easy!
Patty's Perspective: This was a nice and hearty meal. Very meaty. I personally enjoy the red and yellow bells that we use, but I also like that chili pepper heat, so I was glad Mike added the jalapeno pepper. It was perfect.
Easy Italian Sausage Stuffed Peppers
- 2 large bell peppers – I used a red and an orange bell
- 12 ounces Italian sausage
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 Anaheim pepper, chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 ounces tomato sauce
- ½ cup fresh basil, chopped (a couple tablespoons dried basil is fine)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Chopped parsley for garnish
- Slice the bell peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides.
- Bring a large pot of water to boil and boil the halved peppers about 5 minutes to soften. Drain and set peppers aside.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add sausage. Break apart and cook about 5 minutes.
- Add onion and peppers and stir. Cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook another minute, stirring.
- Add tomato sauce, basil and salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Reduce heat and simmer about 10 minutes or longer.
- Remove from heat and cool slightly. Stir in Parmesan cheese and mix well.
- Stuff each pepper with your sausage-cheese mixture and set them into a baking dish.
- Add about a half inch of water to the baking dish and bake at 350 for about 30 minutes, or until the peppers are softened and the stuffing mixture is nicely heated. You can leave it in longer if needed for even softer peppers.
- Remove from heat and serve with some parsley garnish.