Make your own over-stuffed burritos with 7 layers of awesomeness with this recipe, including ground meat, jalapeno peppers, homemade guacamole, pico de gallo, refried beans, queso fresco and crema.
I recently made a taco dip recipe and since we enjoyed it so much, I thought, why not make this as a burrito? We've all seen 7-Layer Dips, but I can't say I've seen many 7-Layer Burritos. I already had some ideas of how I would personally want to stuff my burrito, but I did a bit of "Googling" and found there were some out there. Taco Bell sells one, but I really wanted some spice and, you know, chili peppers! #JalapenoObsession. So obvi, I'm including a solid layer of sauteed jalapeno pepper rings to satisfy my overall crave.
So yeah, gotta call this one a "Madness Style" recipe because it's really more than 7 simple layers of basic ingredients, which is what most of the others look like. We're layering ours with some developed layers. It will take a little bit of work, but it will be worth it. Trust me. But really, not all that much work. The layers here include: Taco-seasoned ground meat (beef or turkey is good), sauteed jalapeno peppers, seasoned refried beans, homemade guacamole, homemade pico de gallo, crumbled queso fresco, and Mexican crema. You can dash your burrito with your favorite hot sauce and call it an 8-Layer Burrito. Wow! Go to town! Layer it up!
You're gonna need oversized flour tortillas for this recipe. It gets pretty messy. You can tell by the photos I've taken. We're gotten pretty good at taking nice photos, but this one was a bit of a challenge. What can I say? It's a bit sloppy. But again, totally worth the effort and the mess.
These 7-Layer Burritos are beasts! I hope you enjoy them.
7 Layer Burritos – Madness Style – Recipe
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 6 ounces ground turkey or beef – I used turkey
- 1 tablespoon taco seasonings – Here is my preferred homemade taco seasoning recipe
- ¼ cup water
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced into rings
- 6 ounces refried beans
- 1 tablespoon of your favorite hot sauce
- Salt to taste
- Homemade guacamole
- Homemade pico de gallo – You WILL have leftovers of this! Save it!
- Crumbled queso fresco
- Crema for serving
- 2 oversized burrito tortillas
- Extra hot sauce for serving
- Heat a small pan to medium heat and heat 1 teaspoon olive oil. Add ground turkey or beef and cook about 5-6 minutes, breaking it apart, until it is cooked through.
- Add taco seasonings and water and reduce heat to simmer. Simmer until the water reduces and the seasoning is nice and thick with the meat.
- While the taco meat is cooking, heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a separate pan and add jalapeno peppers. Cook them about 5 minutes per side, until they are nicely caramelized. Set aside until ready to use.
- To a small pot, add refried beans, hot sauce and salt. Heat through on medium-low and stir.
- Warm the tortillas, then layer them each first with the seasoned refried beans, then taco meat, then homemade guacamole, then pico de gallo, then queso fresco, then crema, then toasted jalapeno peppers.
- Finish them with a bit of hot sauce to taste – an EIGHTH layer? – and wrap them up if you can!
Makes 2 STUFFED burritos.