Cheesy Chicken Quesadillas Recipe
A recipe for extra cheesy chicken quesadillas filled with seasoned chicken and lots of cheese – one of the best appetizers around. It’s even great for dinner!
Extra gooey cheese, seasoned chopped chicken, a hot and spicy kick, with a single bite that makes you quiver and your mouth saying instantly, “oh yes, more please…”
This is to experience the wonder of the quesadilla. Many of us have had quesadillas as kids, thin tortillas filled with cheese and melted in a pan, or maybe in one of those shmancy quesadilla makers, the ones that don’t always work so well.
Maybe those were good as kids, but now we want a quesadilla with some serious flavor.
Let’s elevate the quesadilla!
It doesn’t take much to turn the already yummy quesadilla into something exceptional.
It’s All About the Great Cheese
Get yourself some good Chihuahua cheese, the kind that gets all melty when you heat it. A white cheddar is good, very flavorful, but there is something about the Chihuahua consistency that drips all around the tortillas.
It’s Also About the Tortillas and the Seasonings
You want flour tortillas here, not corn, and you want lean chicken breast that is boldly seasoned.
For seasonings, I personally enjoy incorporating a spicier chili powder, like a habanero powder or maybe something hotter, but your favorite taco seasoning will do. Make sure you use it liberally.
And the Chili Peppers!
Don’t forget the onion and the jalapeno peppers. It’s just not as good without them!
Butter up the pan before you set the quesadilla down, as that will give you the golden brown finish you’re looking for.
It also makes the resulting tortilla flaky and good.
Be careful when you are flipping the quesadilla in the pan. There is an art to it, and if you’re not careful, the stuffing could fall out and splatter everywhere.
Perhaps that quesadilla maker isn’t such a bad idea after all.
I finished ours with a quick enchilada sauce and some Mexican crema, but a simple salsa would do just as well, maybe a dollop of sour cream.
Quesadillas are traditionally categorized as appetizers, but seriously, a couple of these were more than a meal. We couldn’t even finish the couple
I made before we were stuffed. The recipe below will make four for servings.
Try them out for your next party!
I’ve been begging Mike to make quesadillas, ooey-gooey cheese, yummy chicken, and all the bold flavors that I know Mike brings to his meals. And man, did he deliver! Even with an extra special enchilada sauce to put it over the top. Delectably sinful!
Check Out Some of My Other Popular Spicy Appetizer Recipes
- Mexican Corn Dip
- Southwest Style Cheese Dip
- Easy Cheesy Chipotle Bean Dip
- One-Pan Hatch Chili Cheese Dip
- Queso Fundido
- Spicy Buffalo Chicken Dip
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS.Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
A recipe for extra cheesy chicken quesadillas filled with seasoned chicken and lots of cheese - one of the best appetizers around. It's even great for dinner!
- 2 large chicken breasts
- 1 onion chopped
- 4 jalapeno peppers sliced
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning or a nice chili powder blend
- 12 ounces Chihuahua cheese shredded
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Chili sauce or salsa for serving I used a quick enchilada sauce
- Crema or sour cream for serving
- Heat a pan to medium heat.
- Cube the chicken and season with your taco seasoning or chili seasoning blend. Add to the pan.
- Add the peppers and onions to the pan and cook together about 8-10 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from heat and wipe the pan clean.
- Bring the pan to medium heat and add a half tablespoon butter. Make sure the butter is spread over the whole pan.
- Add 1 tortilla then top with chicken mixture and 2 ounces Chihuahua cheese. Top with another tortilla.
- Cook until the bottom tortilla is crisp and browned, a couple minutes or so, then carefully flip and brown the other tortilla.
- Remove from heat and do the same with the remaining tortillas and ingredients.
- Slice and serve with chili sauce or salsa and crema.