Savory Waffles with Jalapenos and Creamy Beer Cheese
Change up your typical waffle recipe with these savory waffles made with diced jalapeno peppers and homemade beer cheese (which is super easy to make), all topped with extra melted cheese, diced tomato and avocado. A breakfast or brunch lovers dream, but great for a quick dinner, too!
If you are a fan of breakfasts or brunch that fall on the savory side, you’re going to LOVE this Savory Waffles recipe.
We love savory waffles in the Chili Pepper Madness kitchen. They’re great for brunch and you can enjoy them in so many different ways. Most people think of sweet waffles when it comes to waffles, but it’s time to change up your expectations.
There are many ways to cook up savory waffles, but this particular recipe is definitely Chili Pepper Madness style, made with lots of creamy beer cheese and jalapeno peppers for a bit of spicy love.
They’re very easy to make, about as easy as making your regular every day waffles. All you need to do is stir in your extra savory ingredients and cook them up!
Let’s talk about how to make these savory waffles, shall we? Great for breakfast or brunch.
Savory Waffles with Jalapenos and Beer Cheese Ingredients
- Buttermilk. Sour cream is a good substitute.
- Melted Butter.
- All-Purpose Flour.
- Baking Powder.
- Baking Soda.
- Beer Cheese.
- Jalapeno Peppers.
- Seasonings. I’m using a Cajun seasoning blend.
- For Serving. Diced avocado, extra jalapenos, tomato.
How to Make Savory Waffles with Jalapenos and Beer Cheese
Making savory waffles is very easy. Be sure to follow your waffle maker instructions, as each maker is going to be slightly different, but breaking it down, this is how you make savory waffles:
Make the Waffle Batter. In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter. Add the ½ cup beer cheese, jalapeno peppers and Cajun seasoning blend. In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients. Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until nearly smooth; it’s OK if it is still lumpy.
Cook the Waffles. Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray and preheat it according to your model’s instructions. Pour in the waffle mix as needed and cook 2-4 minutes, until cooked until golden brown.
Serve them Up. Remove and set onto a plate. Drizzle with beer cheese and top with your fixings. Enjoy!
Boom! See? You can do this easily. Savory waffles are just as easy. Heck, if I can do this on the first try, I’m sure you can, too! So yeah, what’s your favorite savory waffle combination?
Recipe Notes and Tips
- The Beer Cheese. You really should try to make your own beer cheese because it’s about as crazy-easy as making waffles at home, but if you’re looking for a shortcut, use shredded cheese. Monterey jack, pepper jack, even cheddar cheese or colby will do you just fine. Just mix up all those ingredients in your waffle batter and proceed to make waffles. See How to Make Creamy Beer Cheese – Recipe. Oh baby!
- The Toppings. Don’t forget the toppings. Savory waffles topped with whatever you love are the best! Live it up a little! Make it look pretty and inviting! I sliced up some extra jalapeno peppers – roasted would have been great here, too – along with diced tomato and avocado. The toppings add one more tasty layer of flavor to the final dish.
- Get Creative. There are so many ways you can change up this recipe. Top them with a fried egg. Drape ribbons of smoked salmon over the top. Top them with fried chicken and drizzle with maple syrup for a spin on chicken and waffles. Make a breakfast sandwich with them. So good!
NOTE: This is the waffle maker we own (Affiliate link, my friends! FYI!) – Cuisinart WAF-F20 Double Belgian Waffle Maker, Stainless Steel.
Right now, waffles in my world are like bacon. You just can’t get enough. Now that we’ve made these, I want waffles for every meal, breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Waffles, waffles, waffles. I can’t wait to experiment!
Try Some of These Savory Waffle Recipes
You also might like this Johnny Cakes Recipe – they’re basically cornbread pancakes. Maybe you can use them to make cornmeal waffles or cornbread waffles!
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Savory Waffles Recipe with Jalapenos and Creamy Beer Cheese
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cups buttermilk
- 8 tablespoons melted butter 1/2 cup
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ cup Homemade Beer Cheese + more for serving
- 2 jalapeno peppers chopped
- 2 tablespoons Cajun seasoning blend
- For serving: diced avocado jalapeno, tomato
- In a large mixing bowl, beat together the eggs, buttermilk and melted butter.
- Add the ½ cup beer cheese, jalapeno peppers and Cajun seasoning blend.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the dry ingredients.
- Combine the wet and dry ingredients, stirring just until nearly smooth; it’s OK if it is still lumpy.
- Spray your waffle iron with a non-stick cooking spray and preheat it according to your model’s instructions.
- Pour in the waffle mix as needed and cook 2-4 minutes, until cooked to your desired brownness.
- Remove and set onto a plate. Drizzle with beer cheese and top with your fixings.