Juicy Ground Turkey Burgers
This is one of my best recipes for making juicy turkey burgers with loads of flavor that will rival any beef hamburger.
I want to show you how to make moist, juicy turkey burgers. Yes, once again I am going to extoll the virtues of awesome turkey burgers.
Flipping through our burger recipes section, you’ll find a number of turkey burger recipes, and that is because we flat out love turkey burgers. Don’t get me wrong. We also LOVE a good beef burger, but beef had an unfair advantage over turkey because of the fat content.
This means it is much easier to get a juicy beef burger, but it also means you’ll have a lot more calories. With turkey burgers, you need to figure how to get the moisture in the burgers, but also some flavor, as the ground turkey alone is much milder that beef.
To me, that’s a welcoming blank canvas.
Making juicy turkey burgers is easy, actually. Add in some spicy jalapeno peppers or other peppers of your preference, onion, garlic, awesome seasonings, then a bit of oil and…mustard!
I prefer a spicy brown mustard, though any will do. Mayo works as well, but the extra flavor blast from the mustard goes a long way not only for moisture, but for flavor.
Don’t overdo the breadcrumbs as that would defeat the purpose, though you may need to experiment a little to find your preferred amount. Hand mix, and I can’t emphasize this enough – do not overmix!
If you over handle the mixture, your resulting turkey burgers will wind up more mealy, and we don’t want that. When forming the patties, the meat mixture will be pretty sticky, but should still hold the burger shape.
I like to get a good solid sear, and you can see from the photos the darkened seared tops of the turkey burger patties. The searing forms a bit of a crust. So good.
Pop some cheese on top if you’d like, or serve it up with your typical condiments – ketchup, mustard – or maybe some barbecue sauce! Hot sauce! Go crazy!
I’m a fan of topping my burgers with spicy brown mustard, but these didn’t need it.
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Juicy Ground Turkey Burgers - the Recipe
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 1 small onion minced
- 1 jalapeno pepper minced (other peppers are good - try a sweet pepper)
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- Cajun seasonings – or try your favorite seasoning blend - I LOVE spicy chili powders
- 2 tablespoons mustard – I used a spicy brown mustard
- 2 tablespoons bread crumbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Splash of white wine
- 2 toasted buns for serving
- Heat a pan to medium heat and add onion and pepper with a bit of olive oil. Cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook 1 more minute, until you can smell theawesome garlic.
- Add it all to a mixing bowl. Add the turkey, seasonings, mustard, remaining olive oil, bread crumbs and salt and pepper.
- Hand mix, but just a little, not too much, or the turkey burgers will become mealy. Form into 2 large patties.
- Set into the still heated pan and cook about 6 minutes, then flip and sear the other side.
- Add in the splash of white wine, cover, and let it steam up around the burgers. Continue to cook about 8-10 minutes, or until the turkey burgers are cooked through.
- Serve with toasted buns and your favorite condiments.
- Nice and moist and juicy!