This easy Crockpot buffalo chicken dip recipe is always a big hit on game day! I like to toss in a few extra ingredients that put it a step above the rest.
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
Crock pot buffalo chicken dip is the king of appetizer recipes. It checks all the boxes - cheesy, gooey, spicy, easy! You can make a big batch for game days or any party situation, and it's so easy. You just dump everything into a slow cooker and give it a stir every now and then.
I make a fantastic buffalo chicken dip, but you can skip the baking dish and bust out the crockpot for this recipe. Most people make this recipe with the same basic ingredients - cooked chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, ranch or blue cheese dressing, buffalo sauce. I bring mine to a new level of flavor with a few additions that make it so much better, and perfect for the spicy food lover.
Ingredients in this Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
Here are the essentials:
- Cooked Chicken - Easily cook your own, or use rotisserie chicken, or leftover chicken from a different recipe.
- Cream Cheese - Plain cream cheese with the full fat content will yield the thickest, creamiest results.
- Cheddar Cheese - Freshly grated cheese creates the best flavor and consistency if you have just a few extra minutes to spare.
- Blue Cheese Dressing
- Buffalo Sauce - Use your favorite store bought brand, like Frank's, or try my homemade Buffalo Sauce recipe. So good! I like to add in extra, at least another 1/2 cup or more, for extra Buffalo flavor! So good!
Extra Ingredients for Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
These ingredients are entirely optional! However, I think they give the recipe that extra pizzazz:
- Roasted Jalapeño Pepper - Or just cook one up in a hot pan. Or, use a jar of chopped green chilies.
- Seasonings - I love to use my homemade Cajun seasonings blend or my homemade tacos seasonings, depending on my mood. Use your favorite blend, though. I'd love to hear your secret go-to!
- Garlic Powder - I like it extra garlicky.
- Salt and Pepper - To taste!
- Hot Sauce - Yes! Don't forget the hot sauce! Use your favorite. I'm sure you can REALLY spice it up, you crazy chilihead.
- FOR SERVING - Crumbled blue cheese, chopped green onion, spicy chili flakes, tortilla chips or celery sticks.
How to Make Crockpot Buffalo Chicken
Add everything to the Crockpot. Add the cooked chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, blue cheese dressing and buffalo sauce, along with your chosen extra ingredients (jalapeño and seasonings) to the Crockpot. Give it a stir.
Slow cook the buffalo chicken dip. Cover and slow cook for 1 hour on high or 2-3 hours on low, stirring every 30 minutes.
Boom! Done! Your Crockpot buffalo chicken dip is ready to serve. Somebody pass me the chips, please! I'm so ready to dig into this right now. Look at all that wonderful cheese.
Recipe Tips & Notes
- Cook the chicken first. If you are starting with raw chicken, roughly chop the chicken (breast or thigh meat), season with salt and pepper, and cook in a pan with a touch of oil over medium heat until the chicken is cooked through, 6-7 minutes. I definitely recommend cooking the chicken first before adding it to the crock pot.
- Roast or sear the peppers. I love to include either roasted or pan seared jalapeño peppers with my buffalo chicken dip. It adds extra flavor and spice factor. You can either roast the jalapeños - see how to roast chili peppers - or simply chop and cook them in a pan with a touch of oil for 3-4 minutes to soften them.
- Make it cheesy! This recipe uses three different cheeses - cream cheese, blue cheese (on top) and cheddar cheese, but you can use other shredded cheeses. Use good melty cheeses for a better consistency, like colby, Monterrey jack or pepper jack. It's really good with goat cheese, too!
Storage and Reheating
Once cooled to room temperature, you can store this buffalo chicken dip in an airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days. You can either reheat it in the microwave or right back in the Crockpot.
In the microwave, you'll want to zap it for just 30 seconds at a time, stirring each time it stops, until warmed all the way through. Or, you can toss it all back in the slow cooker on low until warmed through, stirring once in a while.
How to Serve Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip
I suggest setting the dip to the Crockpot "warm" setting for serving, and just serve it right out of the Crockpot. Leave a small spoon for your guests to scoop it out. Serve it alongside crispy tortilla chips, crackers, or celery sticks. So good this way!
Try Some of My Other Popular Dip Recipes
- Bacon Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Queso Dip Recipe
- Layered Taco Dip
- Chili Cheese Dip
- Jalapeno Cream Cheese Dip
- Cheese Dip with Corn and Roasted Poblanos
- Jalapeno Popper Dip
- Hatch Chili Cheese Dip
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Crockpot Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
- 1 pound cooked chicken chopped or shredded
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 4 ounces shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup blue cheese dressing
- 3/4 cup Buffalo sauce
EXTRA INGREDIENTS (to make it even better!)
- 1 roasted jalapeno pepper chopped (or pan cooked!)
- 1 tablespoon Cajun seasoning blend or use taco seasonings
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Crumbled blue cheese, chopped green onion, spicy chili flakes, tortilla chips or celery sticks
- Add the cooked chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, blue cheese dressing and Buffalo sauce, along with your chosen extra ingredients (jalapeno and seasonings) to the crock pot. Give it a stir.
- Cover and slow cook for 1 hour on high or 2-3 hours on low, stirring every 30 minutes.