A quick and easy recipe of Italian sausages seared with peppers, then served over mustard greens that have been cooked down with bacon and jalapeno peppers.
I have to give a shout out to Bon Appétit Magazine for the inspiration for this recipe. We get the print version at home and I enjoy perusing the pages for inspiration and new ideas.
I don't recall the issue, but one particular recipe stood out. It looked so delicious in its simplicity, with sausages seared in a pan and served over cabbage and some other greens. I tore out the page and it sat on my counter a few months until I couldn't resist any longer and had to make my own version of it.
While working on a Gumbo article for Chile Pepper Magazine, I got to play with a number of tasty greens.
They were perfect for this particular dish, which I have, of course, altered to my own particular tastes.
What we have here is a focus of mustard greens cooked with jalapeno peppers. This particular recipe would work with any type of greens you prefer, though I had mustard greens on hand.
I cooked ours with bacon, which is ALWAYS a nice addition with greens, along with onion, jalapenos and garlic.
You'll cook down those down with the bacon, then add the greens to cook down a bit before letting them simmer in chicken broth. This will soften them up, as greens can be quite bitter and fibrous.
When they're cooked down, though, they're juicy and highly flavorful from your seasoned broth.
I also seared the Italian sausages in the pan with additional jalapeno peppers, because #JalapenoObsession. My obsession with and love for jalapeno peppers is well known.
You CAN, of course, use whatever chili peppers you may have on hand, or to your own personal preference. Bell peppers would be totally fine here, as would poblano peppers, perhaps serranos. I would recommend peppers with more substance. Use a variety.
Definitely filing this one under "Quick and Easy", as it will be done in about 20 minutes or so, unless you're me, in which case it will take a good 10 minutes longer.
But still...EASY! And TASTY.
Don't they just look AWESOME? Making this again soon.
Get yourself a subscription Bon Appétit Magazine (affiliate link, my friends). Definitely recommended for inspiration and some very good recipes. I hope you enjoy this one!
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you'll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don't forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I'll be sure to share! Thanks! -- Mike H.
Seared Sausages with Mustard Greens and Peppers - Recipe
- 2 strips bacon chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bunch mustard greens stemmed and chopped
- ½ cup chicken broth
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 spicy Italian sausages
- 1 jalapeno pepper sliced into rings
- Heat a pot to medium heat and add bacon. Cook a couple minutes until the fat begins to render.
- Add onion and chopped jalapeno pepper. Stir and cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and stir. Cook another minute.
- Add chopped mustard greens in 2 batches and stir. Cook until the bunch is wilted.
- Add chicken broth and stir. Season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook about 15 minutes.
- While mustard greens are cooking, heat a separate pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Heat through.
- Add Italian sausages and sliced jalapeno rings. Cook 10-12 minutes, until sausages are charred and cooked through. The jalapeno peppers will be nicely charred as well.
- Remove lid from mustard greens and cook another minute or 2 to reduce the liquid a bit.
- Serve the sausages and jalapeno peppers over the greens.