Bacon Cheeseburger Jalapeno Poppers
A jalapeno poppers recipe of sliced jalapeno peppers stuffed with seasoned ground beef and cheddar cheese, then wrapped in bacon and broiled until crispy. These are the perfect appetizer.
You know me. I ALWAYS love a good jalapeno popper. I mean, I’m the guy who wrote an entire cookbook dedicated to jalapeno peppers – “Jalapeno Poppers and Other Stuffed Peppers, the Cookbook“. Truly, I can’t help myself. I’ve said this so many times, but it bears repeating – I LOVE JALAPENO POPPERS! #JalapenoLove. #MikesJalapenoObsession.
The thing about jalapeno peppers is that they’re practically BEGGING to be stuffed and turned into poppers. They are the perfect size for appetizers and side dishes.
And, you can be as creative as you want when it comes to stuffing ingredients. You can start from any world cuisine and come up with an interesting jalapeno popper or stuffed pepper.
For this particular recipe, we’re starting from an American classic, the Bacon Cheeseburger. You don’t get much more American than that.
How to Make Bacon Cheeseburger Jalapeno Poppers – The Method
In a nutshell, you’ll cook up your ground beef with an extra chopped jalapeno pepper, onion and garlic, let it cool, then mix your cheddar cheese right into the beef. This is your stuffing.
Slice jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and core them out. Set them onto a baking sheet and get stuffing.
If you prefer, you can keep the cheddar cheese out of the beef mixture and top your stuffed jalapeno with the cheese instead. I’ve done it both ways and it works, but sometimes the cheese can spill over. I just wanted to make sure you could see the beef here.
Next, wrap the jalapeno poppers in bacon. You have a couple options. You can use a whole slice of bacon per popper, or slice the bacon in half lengthwise and wrap the popper with the half piece of bacon.
I’ve chosen the later, but go crazy. It depends on how much you love bacon! I’m betting you love it.
Fire up the broiler and get broiling! It won’t take long to cook this way, about 15 minutes or so, until the bacon is crispy.
Alternatively, you can bake them about 25-30 minutes or so at a lower temp, or grill them about 12-15 minutes, depending on your grill. Just watch them and make sure the bacon ends up nice and crispy. That is your goal.
Finally, eat them! If you want to get REALLY fancy American, serve them with ketchup and mustard on the side, but for me?
Nah. I want these just the way they are. I hope you enjoy them!
How Many Jalapeno Poppers Should I Make?
When making them “boat style” like this recipe, you’ll double the amounts, so 10 jalapeno peppers will make 20 poppers. Since they’re meant to be an appetizer, I like to figure on 1.5 – 2 per person. So figure accordingly.
Try Some of My Other Popular Jalapeno Popper Recipes
- Baked Cream Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- Four Cheese Jalapeno Poppers
- Candied Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers
- South Philly Cheesesteak Jalapeno Poppers
- Italian Style Jalapeno Poppers
- Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers with Chicken
- Check Out More Jalapeno Poppers Recipes
I love stuffed peppers or poppers because you can basically start with any appetizer or meal and stuff it into a pepper. It’s like magic happens somehow.
Got any questions? Ask away! I’m happy to help. If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
Bacon Cheeseburger Jalapeno Poppers - Recipe
- 10 jalapeno peppers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 extra small jalapeno pepper chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves chopped
- 12 ounces ground beef
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 10 slices bacon or 20, depending on your preference
- Slice the jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides. Set them onto a baking sheet.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and heat olive oil. Add chopped jalapeno and onion. Cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook another minute until fragrant.
- Add ground beef and cook through, about 6-7 minutes. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Swirl in cheddar cheese and mix to incorporate.
- Stuff each jalapeno pepper with cheese beef mixture.
- Slice the bacon on half lengthwise and wrap each stuffed pepper. If you want more bacon, use a whole slice of bacon for each popper half.
- Set oven to broil and set the poppers into the center of the oven, not too close to the heat. Broil the poppers 15 minutes, or until bacon is crisp.
- Remove from heat and serve!
I hope you’ll check out our cookbook! You can get it from Amazon. See below.