A recipe for jalapeno peppers made Italian style, stuffed with seasoned ground turkey, fresh basil, tomato sauce and topped with shredded Parmesan cheese. These are perfect for a last-minute party appetizers.
Who is attending a New Year's Eve bash this year? Raise your hands. Wow! That's a LOT of you. Yep, we are as well, and we're looking forward to seeing our friends and ringing in the new year. This year we are doing it a bit differently, with everyone bringing a dish to share, sort of a pot luck style. I love it! There will be so many delicious dishes to enjoy. I hope there will be something spicy. The idea, though, is to keep it simple, nothing overly fancy. However, if you happen to be attending your own party and are struggling to come up with a dish to share, here is one you can try. It is sort of fancy, but not really. It just looks that way. PLUS! We're talking jalapeno poppers. Everyone loves them! Seriously.
Consider the wonderful jalapeno pepper, one of the greatest chili peppers to grace the earth. It is easily one of, if not THE, most popular chili peppers around. They're perfect little vessels for stuffing, and stuff them you will with this Italian style version that incorporates ground turkey cooked into a tomato sauce seasoned with garlic and basil, then topped with shredded Parmesan cheese. If you want to go even spicier, substitute spicy Italian sausage for the ground turkey, though the turkey works great, and it will save you quite a few calories. It all depends on how you want to welcome in the new year!
Your guests and party friends will pluck these off the plate without abandon. Enjoy!
Italian Style Jalapeno Poppers Recipe
- 16-20 jalapeno peppers (Or as many as you can fill - I used gorgeous RED jalapeno peppers)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 2 extra jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pound ground turkey
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 can stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped basil + extra for garnish
- 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese + extra for garnish
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add olive oil. Heat. Add onion and 2 jalapeno peppers. Cook about 5 minutes to soften.
- Add garlic and cook about a minute.
- Add turkey and break apart. Mix and cook about 8 minutes, or until turkey is cooked through.
- Add tomato, stewed tomatoes and basil. Stir and reduce heat to low. Simmer for at least 10 minutes, but 30 minutes or more is better. Lets those flavors develop, baby!
- Slice the jalapeno peppers in half lengthwise and scoop out the insides.
- Add 1 cup shredded Parmesan cheese to the meat mixture and stir. Stuff each jalapeno with the stuffing mixture.
- Bake the jalapenos on a lightly oiled baking sheet at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes.
- Remove, cool slightly, and top with extra basil and Parmesan cheese.