We're playing around with purees again, coming up with some very interesting sauces. And winning! As you might recall, we've experimented with a number of purees for sauces, ending up with some very tasty meals, including the Linguine with Cauliflower Carbonara Sauce, Butternut Squash Carbonara, Pasta with Zucchini Pesto with Jalapeno Peppers, and this is no exception. It's good!
I've created a vegetarian version here, though you could easily toss it with grilled chicken or maybe some seasoned and seared shrimp. The recipe result is sort of a mashup, with roasted poblano peppers and creamy avocado - always a classic combination - and potatoes. Did I just say potatoes? Yep. It gives the sauce body, making it fairly thick, which we both enjoy. It will thin enough with the starchy pasta water so you'll have a nice and smooth puree. Finish it up with fresh herbs and a bit of spice, and boom! A satisfying pasta, super easy, for a quick lunch or dinner.
You are correct in assuming that more purees will follow! We love them so.
Patty's Perspective: Don't fear the puree! This was a wonderfully creamy mashup that was so unique for a pasta, and it's healthy, really. A satisfying dish.
Quick and Easy Pasta with Roasted Poblano-Avocado Sauce
- 1 medium poblano pepper
- 2 medium yellow potatoes
- 1 medium avocado, pitted and peeled
- ½ cup chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes (I also added in some spicy chili powder, but a blend will do nicely)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cups pasta, prepared
- Your favorite olive oil for serving
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Set potatoes and poblano onto a baking sheet and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until the potato is soft and the poblano skins have nicely charred. Remove from heat.
- Cover the poblano with a paper towel to allow the skins to steam off a bit.
- Remove skins from poblano and potatoes and discard. Add poblano and potatoes to a food processor.
- To the food processor, add avocado, cilantro, red pepper flakes, chili powder if using, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Process until somewhat smooth.
- Add a few tablespoons of your pasta water to the mixture and process until it is nice and creamy. You may need to add a little at a time to achieve your desired consistency.
- Adjust for salt and pepper.
- Toss with pasta and serve with drizzled olive oil!