Oh baby! Nothing super fancy here today in the Chili Pepper Madness household. Some nights you just want to have a little fun, and oftentimes that includes pizza! We're talking pizza bread, a super easy way to fulfill all those comfort food cravings without a whole lot of work. It's easy because you don't have to mess around with making your own pizza dough. Don't get me wrong. We enjoy a good homemade pizza - check out our pizza recipes - but pizza bread has a couple of advantages over traditional pizza. First, it's different. Hard to compare! Pizza bread is thick and crisps up much differently than a traditional dough. Second, it's fast! Some days, that's all we want.
This recipe is ideal for a couple of hungry people on a Saturday night, hanging out with a few beers, or it works as an appetizer. Make it ahead of time without the final baking and bring it to a party. Toss it in the oven and boom! You not only have a spicy pass around but you're also the hit of the party. Wrap it in aluminum foil and bring it to your next tailgating party. Just toss it on the grill and wait for the cheeses to melt.
We incorporated traditional jalapeno popper ingredients here, with cream cheese, cheddar, chorizo, and of course jalapeno peppers. I got these bright red beauties from a local Mexican grocer. I can't stop going into the place. Excellent food choices, and their peppers scream at me everytime I walk in. "Let us get in your basket!" Who am I to say "no".
Patty's Perspective: Ooey-gooey dedadence. This is definitely a party pleaser. Some of my very favorite things bundled into a single bite. Yum.
Jalapeno Popper Pizza Bread Recipe
- One large loaf of Italian Bread
- 4 ounces butter, softened
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 2-4 jalapeno peppers, sliced - I used red jalapenos
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning – or try a nice Cajun blend, or use a variety of chili powders
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 6 ounces cooked chorizo
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Slice the Italian bread in half lengthwise and save half. You can freeze it, or double the rest of the ingredients and make two!
- Lightly score the bread side so the next ingredients can drip inside a bit when the baking starts.
- Set the bread onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Spread on the butter and bake them 5 minutes. Remove.
- Spread cream cheese over the bread and sprinkle with taco seasonings, garlic and chorizo.
- Top with jalapeno pepper slices and cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until the cheese is nicely melted.
- Slice and serve!