A recipe for quick lunch or appetizer pizzas, made with fresh basil and olive oil, topped with pan crisped smoked ham, jalapeno peppers, cherry tomatoes and shaved Parmesan cheese.
Another quick recipe for you, my friends. We all need our collection of recipes we can make fast, particularly on those crazy busy days where life is going cray-cray, which has been happening for us a bit lately. I've been busy with a few new projects - a new cookbook proposal, a couple of sponsored posts, a magazine article, and 3 screenplays that I'm finallly ready to send out into the world after a few more tweaks. I'm sure you know how it goes when the busy-ness is giving you the business.
But hey, just because you're a bit slammed doesn't mean you can't enjoy good food! Right?
Like these - Mini Pizzas with Smoked Ham, Jalapenos and Cherry Tomatoes.
I love these. I grabbed a couple different ready-made pizza crusts from the store the other day to test them out, and I don't have a preference for either one, as they both worked great. They're super convenient to keep on hand for quick lunches, and you can top with with anything you'd like. If you're not in the mood for crusts, try this out on sliced French bread or thick slices of Italian bread.
Those would work out wonderfully.
Just lay the pizza crusts onto a baking sheet and top them up to build your pizza. In this case, I used a bit of ham I smoked a few weeks ago, thawed from the freezer, chopped and crisped up in a pan along with jalapeno peppers. You MUST have jalapeno peppers with this recipe, because, you know, Mike's #JalapenoObsession.
I used a quick basil oil as the sauce base, going for more Italian flavors, which pairs ideally with shaved Parmesan cheese. And! I collected these juicy cherry tomatoes from the garden, sliced them, and set them over the top. I can't say enough about how much I love having a garden and everything it produces. It makes me want to move south just so we can keep a garden longer through the year.
Grab some extra chili peppers, too, if you'd like. Feel free to spice these babies up to your own heat level preferences. Sprinkle on some chili flakes. Yeah!
Bake your pizzas for about 10 minutes to bring it all together and there you go! It's a quick lunch, my friends! Consider these as well for a quick appetizer, or for your next gameday gathering. People will go nuts for them.
I hope you enjoy the pizzas! -- Mike H.
Mini Pizzas with Smoked Ham, Jalapenos and Cherry Tomatoes – Recipe
- 2 7-inch thin pizza crusts
- 3 tablespoons olive oil + 1 tablespoon
- 1 handful basil leaves, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, sliced
- 4 ounces smoked ham, sliced into small cubes
- ½ cup shaved Parmesan cheese + some grated for serving
- 12 cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
- Red pepper flakes for serving
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Set pizza crusts onto a baking sheet.
- Add 3 tablespoons olive oil and basil leaves to a food processor. Process until smooth. Spread over the pizza crusts.
- Heat a large pan to medium heat and add jalapeno peppers and smoked ham with 1 tablespoon olive oil. Saute the mix about 6 minutes, until the ham and peppers begin to crisp up. Spread them over the pizza crusts.
- Top with shaved Parmesan cheese and cherry tomato slices.
- Bake for 10 minutes.
- Cool slightly, then sprinkle with grated Parmesan cheese and pepper flakes.
- Slice and serve.
Makes 2 mini pizzas.