Burrito Bowls with Shredded Pork and Black Beans
A recipe for homemade burrito salad bowls made with fresh spinach, black beans, seasoned pulled pork and a load of delicious fixings. Who needs tortillas? We’re going BOWL!
Burrito bowls are something I definitely need to make more of. Usually when I’m making burritos, I’m already heating up the tortillas before I even consider going full on bowl.
I know local chain restaurants offer burrito bowl options, but I don’t really see them in true Mexican restaurants.
Perhaps I haven’t been looking hard enough? Regardless, a burrito bowl is an excellent option for when you’re looking to cut a few calories out of your typical meal and also for when, hey, you just feel like eating out of a bowl.
They aren’t as messy as a burrito can be, and you’re saving a few hundred calories. Not bad!
This version is a bit more like a salad than something you might traditionally find in a restaurant. I’ve swapped out the rice for baby spinach leaves in order to save a few more calories, but also because I had spinach in the fridge that needed to be used and I hate wasting food.
Turned out to be a very EXCELLENT choice. Feel free to add white rice or Mexican rice (See our Mexican Rice Recipe) if you’d prefer it. It would be a nice addition.
This goes under Quick and Easy recipes because I already had the pulled pork prepared from weeks ago. I smoked a whole pork shoulder and shredded it, then froze it into small portions to easily include in quick lunches and dinners.
Just be careful. If you freeze your pork, try not to accidentally add it to your seafood stock.
Note to self: Frozen pulled pork is NOT the same as frozen shrimp shells. *Smacks head. Though it makes for an interesting and unique stock.
Serve this up with a nice picante sauce. We have a picante sauce recipe here that is perfect. It’s made with ajis, but you can use milder peppers, like the jalapeno.
Something you can make while you’re smoking the pork for this very recipe!
If you enjoy this recipe, I hope you’ll leave a comment with some STARS. Also, please share it on social media. Don’t forget to tag us at #ChiliPepperMadness. I’ll be sure to share! Thanks! — Mike H.
- 8 ounces prepared pulled pork
- 1 15 ounce can black beans
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 bunch baby spinach leaves
- 1 avocado diced
- 1 poblano pepper roasted and chopped
- 2 jalapeño peppers roasted and chopped
- Lime wedges for serving
- Picante sauce for serving
- Chopped cilantro for serving
- Crushed tortilla chips for serving
- Add the pork to a small pot with a splash of water.
- Add half of the cumin, chili powder and garlic.
- Heat to warm and stir.
- In a separate pot, add black beans with remaining seasonings.
- Heat to warm and stir.
- Set out four bowls and divide among each the spinach leaves, pork, black beans, roasted peppers and avocado.
- Top each with picante sauce, cilantro, lime juice and crushed tortilla chips.