A tasty turkey sandwich recipe made with layers of cream cheese, oven roasted turkey, melted cheese, stuffed jalapeno poppers, bacon and tomato. Perfect for leftovers!
Why are there still so many leftovers? With all of these holiday gatherings right now, leftovers are inevitable, especially TURKEY. We American sure do LOVE our roasted turkey, don't we? It's such a huge bird and a good sized turkey will certainly feed a lot, but no matter how much you stuff your belly, there always seems to be a big batch of turkey at the end of every party. This is not a complaint. One of the greatest things about turkey is that it can be used as the base of MANY a new meal. Like this one.
Cheesy Jalapeno Popper-Turkey Sandwiches. YES!
This sandwich recipe is a mashup between your typical turkey sandwich and one of the world's greatest gifts to mankind - jalapeno poppers. Do you love jalapeno poppers? Check out our jalapeno poppers recipes section.
I don't know about you, but since there is leftover turkey in the house, this is what I want to make. Oh yeah, I did!
What we have here is sliced sourdough bread that is layered first with cream cheese, then topped with slices of oven roasted turkey, then jalapeno poppers that have been stuffed with even more cream cheese, a bit of seasoning, shredded Monterrey Jack cheese, and finally bacon. BACON! We do love bacon. Yes we do.
Here's a shot of the layers to give you an idea of the process.
Pop these in the oven long enough for the cheeses to melt and BOOM! You got yourself a crazy delicious, hit-the-spot Jalapeno Popper Turkey Sandwich with melty cheese and toasty-crunchy bread and bacon and just...dang...YUM.
Works for me! Next time I may not use leftovers for this. I'll probably run out and buy a turkey breast just for these! I hope you enjoy them.
Cheesy Jalapeno Popper-Turkey Sandwiches – Recipe
- 4 large jalapeno peppers
- 4 large slices sourdough bread
- 6 ounces sliced oven roasted turkey breast leftovers are GREAT for this!
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- ¼ cup shredded Monterrey Jack cheese cheddar is good, too
- 4 strips cooked bacon
- Sliced tomato for serving
- Mayo if desired
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- Stem the jalapenos peppers and slice them in half lengthwise. Remove the cores.
- Set them onto a baking sheet and bake for 30 minutes to soften. Remove and cool.
- Spread nearly an ounce of cream cheese over 2 slices of the sourdough bread. These will be the sandwich bottoms.
- Next, top them with sliced turkey.
- Spread the remaining jalapeno halves with cream cheese and set them over the top of the turkey.
- Sprinkle each with paprika, garlic powder and black pepper.
- Top with shredded cheese, then bacon.
- Set onto a baking sheet with the other sourdough bread slices and bake for 10 minutes, until cheese is melted and bread toasted.
- Remove, top with sliced tomato, mayo if desired (I didn't use it) and serve.