If you like it spicy, you need this BLT Sandwich recipe with ghost pepper rubbed bacon, thick cut tomato and lettuce topped with a creamy chipotle mayo sauce. Time to spice up one of the most famous sandwiches in the world.
I have THREE words for you my friends. You ready?
BACON. LETTUCE. TOMATO.
There are many iconic sandwiches in our wonderful, wonderful world, and a good old BLT sandwich is right up there with them, isn't it? It is culinary simplicity at its finest, a sandwich comprised of such few ingredients that somehow transcends the sum of its parts.
With your typical BLT you have hot, crispy BACON, soft, sweet TOMATO, cool, crisp LETTUCE, sometimes with a bit of creamy mayo on toasted bread. It checks all the mouth satisfaction boxes, doesn't it, each bite offering a crunch factor that blooms into a flavor explosion.
Yet this is not enough for the Madness household! Nor is it enough for YOU, my spicy food loving friends. We need to add more ZING, don't we? YEAH!
So let's do this!
Don't get me wrong. I'm not changing this crazy awesome recipe a LOT, just enough to get us that spice factor we all CRAVE.
Patty has been bugging me lately for a good BLT. Ever since we hit that brunch in Milwaukee where they served up these tiny BLTs, her mood has been shifted with an eye toward bacon. "How about a BLT for lunch today?" Sure thing, my love!
But let's do it MY way, K? *wink
This version rubs down the bacon first with a healthy dose of ghost pepper powder. I make most of my powders at home with my dehydrator. You can usually find ghost pepper powder online, but if you're having trouble, look around for any good superhot pepper seasoning blend. Many artisan product makers sell their own version. If you're concerned about the heat level, go with a milder chili powder, or, consider a good Cajun or Creole seasoning blend. Those are my typical go-tos for great flavor in a hurry.
Then cook up that bacon.
You'll want good, thick and juicy tomatoes for this for the optimal mouth feel. Try to cut them nice and thick, so they're almost steak like, and they just DRIP with their juices when you take a bite. Stack up that awesome sammich!
Lots of crispy lettuce. Make sure that lettuce is fresh. You NEED that crunch factor.
Get great bread, too. I love a good Italian loaf. It's slightly chewy and crisps up nicely in the toaster. YUM.
Instead of mayo, we're making a quick flavor-blast topping here by whisking together mayo, spicy mustard, and zingy chipotle sauce. Get some of this. YUM. DELISH.
Nice and spicy. Go make yourself a sandwich. Let me know how you like it! Send pics!
-- Mike H.
Spicy Madness Style BLT Sandwich – Recipe
- 8 slices thick cut bacon
- 1 tablespoon (or more) smoked ghost pepper seasoning (or use your favorite or homemade superhot blend, or use a milder blend for less heat)
- 1 large heirloom tomato (I used a Kellogg’s Breakfast Tomato)
- 8-10 crisp lettuce leaves
- 2 tablespoons mayo
- 2 tablespoons spicy mustard
- 2 tablespoons chipotle sauce
- 4 lightly toasted slices of Italian bread
- Rub the bacon down on each side with your ghost pepper (or other superhot) chili pepper seasoning. For heat that isn't TOO crazy, try a nice Cajun or Creole seasoning blend.
- Set the bacon onto baking sheets and bake at 350 degrees F for 15-18 minutes, or until they are nice and crispy. Alternatively, you can use your microwave setting to cook bacon pretty easily, which saves time.
- Slice the bacon in half, the divide between the lightly toasted Italian bread slices.
- Top with tomato slices and lettuce leaves.
- Whisk together the mayo, mustard and chipotle sauce and drizzle over each sandwich.
- Serve them up!
Makes 2 sandwiches