This cheeseburger-in-a-bowl recipe is extra gooey and cheesy and has just the right amount of spice. It’s easy to whip together for a quick weeknight meal.
Casseroles are easy, aren't they? It's everything all cooked up then tossed into a pan and baked until ready. Some days I really like easy. Like this whole week. We've found ourselves crazy busy in the Madness household as of late, with specific web projects coming through the door, magazine deadline looming, a couple of new writing projects for me.
Sometimes you just get busy, right? That's when a good casserole comes into play.
Many casserole dishes can be put together in 30 minutes or less, particularly this one. We're talking Extra Cheesy Cheeseburger Casserole.
More cheese, please!
I can't help it. I'm in sort of a decadent mood lately, and when things start to get a bit crazy around here, I start to think about CHEESE. And peppers, of course. Spiciness. This dish has it all.
Obviously, as the name states, this is the personification of a cheeseburger re-imagined as a casserole. Instead of the bun, we're using pasta noodles. Instead of eating with your hands, you'll be enjoying it with a fork.
The dish includes a hearty portion of ground beef that's been cooked down with onions, garlic and jalapeno peppers, though you can easily include spicier peppers if you are so inclined, seasoned with crushed red pepper and paprika, then simmered in tomato sauce.
We're adding in a bit of ketchup and mustard to the casserole sauce to carry over that cheeseburger taste. Add in your cooked noodles and we're just about ready. I've only used 8 ounces of cooked noodles for our dish, but this recipe can very easily accommodate more. If you'd like this to stretch and serve more people, double the portion. No problem.
We just need one more thing, however. Cheese! What's a cheeseburger without cheese? The finishing touch is the gooey, melty cheddar cheese we're adding to the top. I used a LOT here. Dial it back if you'd like, or hey, add more. This dish can handle it.
Bake it for 10 minutes to melt the cheese and you're ready to chow down! Go for it!
Save the leftovers, like we did, for lunch the next day. Save yourself some time! It reheats beautifully.
Extra Cheesy Cheeseburger Casserole – Recipe
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 jalapeno peppers, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 8 ounces uncooked pasta noodles (more if you'd like to have more servings)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or more! Make it extra cheesy!)
- Heat the oil in a pan and add the onion and peppers. Cook them down about 6-7 minutes, until softened.
- Add the garlic and stir. Cook another minute until fragrant.
- Add the ground beef and break it apart with a spoon. Brown it on each side about 5 minutes.
- Add red pepper, paprika, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir and cook another 5 minutes until the meat is mostly cooked through.
- Add the tomato paste, diced tomatoes, ketchup and mustard. Stir and reduce heat. Simmer about 10 minutes while you cook your pasta.
- Boil the pasta per the instructions on the box, about 10 minutes or so in salted water. Drain and add the noodles to the meat mixture.
- Scoop it all into a baking dish and top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for 10 minutes, until the cheese is melted.