How to Peel Tomatoes
Many of our recipes call for using peeled tomatoes. You can use peeled tomatoes from a can, but it is usually best to use fresh tomatoes for a stronger and fresher flavor. While you can peel tomatoes with a peeler, this method doesn’t usually work so easily and can be a bit messy. A simple method for peeling tomatoes is as follows:
- Slice an X-shaped cut into the bottom of your tomatoes, just piercing the skin.
- Add each tomato to a large pot of boiling water and boil about 1 minute or less, until the skin becomes loose
- Remove tomatoes immediately and place into an ice water bath (just a bowl filled with ice and water). Allow to cool.
- The skins will now peel off easily from the bottoms where you sliced into the skin.
- Proceed with your recipe!
You don’t necessarily have to remove the tomato skin for our recipes. The biggest reason many people do so is for an overall consistency in the salsa or sauce that you are making. Sometimes the tomato skin will fall off on its own and will float in the salsa, which some folks dislike. Feel free to peel or not to peel, whatever your preference.