Today is National Nut Day
Today is National Nut Day! How exciting is that? Do you cook with nuts? Why not? Nuts are highly flavorful and offer numerous health benefits, not to mention they’re tasty as heck. You can snack on them, of course, but bringing them into recipes is the real way to go. One of our favorites is an old stand by – The Pesto. An Italian pesto is traditionally made with pine nuts, but you can incorporate different nuts for varying flavors, such as toasted almonds or macadamia nuts. Here is one of our favorites…
Habanero-Mustard Pesto Sauce Recipe
This particular recipe is a bit of a hybrid, a cross between a remoulade and a pesto. You can easily vary up the proportions of mustard to pesto until you achieve your own preferred consistency, but always include plenty of habanero peppers. This is great over sandwiches, but you can also smother chicken or fish with it.
- 2 habanero peppers, chopped
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 tablespoons pecans
- 1/8 – 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons spicy mustard
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat a saute pan to medium heat and add nuts with a splash of olive oil. Pan roast about 5 minutes, careful not to burn them. Transfer to a food processor.
- To food processor, add habaneros, basil, garlic, spicy mustard and salt and pepper. Process until coarsely chopped.
- Drizzle in olive oil and process to desired consistency.
NOTE: We like ours on the chunky side, but you can continue adding olive and oil and process until you achieve a smoother sauce. Enjoy!