Mexican Hot Chocolate – Recipe
This Mexican Hot Chocolate recipe is made with cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla and a mix of chili powders for just a touch of warmth. It has just the right amount of chocolate and spice.
- 3 cups milk 2% is good, or use whole milk for a richer hot chocolate
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder ancho powder is my preferred ingredient
- Pinch of cayenne powder or more as desired
- Pinch of salt
- 2 ounces unsweetened chocolate
Add the milk, sugar, cocoa powder, cinnamon, vanilla, chili powders and salt to a pot.
Bring it to medium heat and add the chocolate. Whisk until the chocolate if melted fully and incorporated through, about 5 minutes. The chocolate should be hot, but not boiling.
Serve into mugs and top with whipped cream and chocolate shavings, along with cinnamon sticks.
Makes 4 small cups.
Variations: Try chocolate syrup with this recipe. It works quite nicely. Add more sugar as desired for sweetness, and more cayenne powder to your preferred heat level.
Calories: 225kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 18mg | Sodium: 84mg | Potassium: 397mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 18g | Vitamin A: 335IU | Calcium: 224mg | Iron: 2.9mg