Slow Cooker Bacon Jam - Recipe
A sweet and savory bacon jam recipe made with bacon, chili peppers, brown sugar and more, so perfect as a spread.
Prep Time20 mins
Cook Time4 hrs
Total Time4 hrs 20 mins
- 1 pound bacon
- 2 small onions chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 habanero peppers chopped (If habaneros are too hot for you, use milder peppers instead, like the jalapeno. If you want more heat and can find them, use some superhots like the Carolina Reaper! Oh baby!)
- ½ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup pure maple syrup
- 1 cup brewed coffee brew it strong!
- ½ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dark chili powder A superhot powder is nice! I used Scotch Bonnet this time.
Heat a large pot to medium heat and add bacon. Cook until nearly crisp and brown. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towels to cool and drain.
Cook the onions in the pot with the bacon fat about 5 minutes to soften.
Add garlic and habanero peppers and stir. Cook about 2 minutes.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir. Bring the mixture to a boil reduce heat to a simmer.
Chop the bacon and add it into the pot.
Cook low and slow for about 4 hours, stirring every now and then. A thick jam will form. Also, you can use a slow cooker to achieve the same results.
When it is nice and gooey and consistent, transfer some of it to a food processor and process until slightly chunky. Add back to the rest of the bacon jam and mix well. You can process as much as you want for your desired consistency.
Allow to cool then transfer to containers for serving.
Calories: 133kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 14mg | Sodium: 154mg | Potassium: 97mg | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 95IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 14mg | Iron: 0.2mg