Chicken Creole - Recipe
Chicken Creole is one of my favorite recipes, with seasoned chicken simmered in tomato sauce with plenty of spices. Serve it over rice, creamy grits, or enjoy it on its own. I like mine extra spicy.
- 1.5 pounds boneless chicken thighs chopped into bite-sized chunks (chicken breast is good, too)
- 3 tablespoons Creole seasoning divided, or more to taste
- 2 tablespoon olive oil divided
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped, or use jalapenos peppers for a spicier version – I used a red bell and a couple jalapenos here
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 14.5 ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tablespoons Louisiana style hot sauce bonus if you use Crystal hot sauce
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt and pepper to taste
- FOR SERVING: Cooked rice, chopped parsley, sliced peppers, spicy chili flakes and extra hot sauce for serving
Season the chopped chicken with 1 tablespoon Creole seasonings. Get them nice and coated.
Heat a large pan to medium heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the chicken and brown the pieces all over, about 5 minutes. Set aside and cover for now.
Add the remaining olive oil along with the peppers, onion and celery. Cook them down about 5 minutes to soften.
Add the garlic and cook another minute, stirring.
Swirl in the tomato paste and cook another minute.
Add the reserved chicken back to the pan along with the tomato sauce, stock, Worcestershire sauce, hot sauce, Creole seasonings and bay leaves. Adjust for salt and pepper.
Stir and simmer the sauce for 20 minutes to thicken and let the flavors develop. You can simmer longer if you’d like.
Remove the bay leaves.
Serve over rice, if desired, sprinkled with parsley, extra hot sauce and extra peppers!
Heat Level: Mild (or Medium with Jalapeno peppers).
If you'd like a spicier version, use extra Creole seasoning in the recipe. You can also add in spicy chili flakes, spicy chili powder, extra hot sauce, or use hotter peppers, such as the serrano.
Calories are calculated without rice.
Calories: 557kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 168mg | Sodium: 1358mg | Potassium: 1466mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 2940IU | Vitamin C: 52.6mg | Calcium: 76mg | Iron: 4.5mg