The best sofrito recipe is a flavor building puree of fresh peppers, onion, garlic, tomato and herbs widely used in Latin America and Caribbean cooking. It’s one of their “secret ingredients” for building dynamite flavor.
Servings: 48 tablespoons
- 2 green bell peppers seeded and chopped
- 2 cubanelle peppers seeded and chopped
- 4-5 aji dulce peppers seeded and chopped
- 1 large white onion chopped
- 8 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro leaves about 1 cup loosely packed
- 2 culantro leaves chopped (replace with extra cilantro if you can’t find it)
- 2 plum tomatoes chopped
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup olive oil
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor. Process until you reach the consistency you prefer. Either chunky or very smooth.
Taste and adjust for salt.
Store in the refrigerator and uses as needed or freeze in small batches.
Makes 3-4 cups.
Sofrito will last 2 weeks when properly stored in the fridge, or 3 months in the freezer.
Calories: 16kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 6mg | Potassium: 41mg | Vitamin A: 70IU | Vitamin C: 23.1mg | Calcium: 3mg | Iron: 0.1mg