Homemade Yellow Curry Paste Recipe
Use this easy yellow curry paste recipe to make your own fresh homemade spicy curries, sauces, soups and stews.
- 1 red bell pepper stemmed, seeded and chopped
- 4 small spicy red peppers chopped (Thai peppers are best, but you can use any to you choice – cayenne or red serrano are good substitutes)
- 1 shallot chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 stalk lemongrass trimmed, woody parts removed
- 6 stalks green onion sliced
- 1 tablespoon shrimp paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger ground is good, too
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced turmeric ground is good, too
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon sugar optional, or use brown sugar
Add all of the ingredients to a food processor or blender. Process until smooth, scraping down the sides as needed.
Alternatively, you can grind down the solid ingredients and spices in a mortar and pestle, then slowly add in the liquid ingredients as you mix. Mix until a paste forms to your preferred consistency.
Taste and adjust to your personal tastes. Need more salt? More lime juice? A pinch of sugar? Adjust as needed.
Strain out excess liquid, if desired, or use as-is.
Makes 1.5-2 cups.
Heat Factor: Mild-Medium, but it is HUGE on flavor. You can easily bring up the heat level by using spicier peppers or by adding spicy chili powder or flakes.
Calories: 28kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 8mg | Sodium: 86mg | Potassium: 70mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 310IU | Vitamin C: 22.6mg | Calcium: 10mg | Iron: 0.5mg