Carne Asada Recipe
With this rockin’ carne asada recipe, you flavor flank or skirt steak with a zingy homemade marinade, then grill it, slice it and serve it. It’s hard to beat! A Mexican classic!
FOR THE MARINADE
- 1-2 serrano peppers minced (or use jalapeno peppers for a milder version)
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- ¼ - ½ cup chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons chili oil
- Juice from 2 large oranges about a ¾ cup
- Juice from 2 limes
- 3 tablespoons white wine vinegar apple cider vinegar is good, too
- 1 tablespoon ancho powder optional, but I LOVE it
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
FOR THE CARNE ASADA
- 3 pound skirt or flank steak for marinating
Whisk all of the marinade ingredients in a medium sized bowl until well combined.
Alternatively, you can process the ingredients in a food processor or blender until smooth.
To use the marinade, add it to a large sealable bag with the steak and rub it thoroughly into the meat. Seal and refrigerate for at least 2 hours, or overnight for more flavor penetration.
Discard the marinade, then grill the marinated steak on the grill for 8-10 minutes per side, or until cooked to your liking. 135 degrees F is medium-rare. Let the steak rest for 10 minutes, then slice it against the grain and serve it up.
Calories: 442kcal | Carbohydrates: 2g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 136mg | Sodium: 337mg | Potassium: 813mg | Vitamin A: 405IU | Vitamin C: 2.6mg | Calcium: 59mg | Iron: 4.1mg