Arroz con Gandules Recipe (Puerto Rican Rice with Pigeon Peas)
This Puerto Rican arroz con gandules recipe is a popular side dish for holidays and special occasions, primarily rice and pigeon peas with huge flavor.
- 1 pound pigeon peas gandules, rinsed and soaked overnight, then cooked until tender
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or use achiote oil
- 1/4 pound salt pork chopped (or use bacon)
- 1/4 pound lean ham chopped
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/4 cup sofrito
- 1 cup chopped green olives
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 2 cups medium or long grain rice rinsed at least 3 times
- 2 ounces tomato paste
- 2 cups chicken broth or use the reserved liquid from soaking the beans
- Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a heavy pot, such as a Dutch oven or caldera. Add the pork and brown the pieces, about 5 minutes.
Add the onion, peppers and sofrito. Stir and cook another 5 minutes to soften.
Add the pigeon peas, olives, capers, rice, tomato paste and chicken broth (or reserved soaking liquid). Season with salt and pepper and stir.
Bring to a boil for 5 minutes until most of the water is absorbed, then cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 to 30 minutes, or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice done to your liking. Remove from heat.
Rest for 5 minutes, then serve.
Calories: 429kcal | Carbohydrates: 55g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 17g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 21mg | Sodium: 816mg | Potassium: 512mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 229IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 57mg | Iron: 2mg