Bourbon Chicken Recipe
This bourbon chicken recipe is melt-in-your-mouth delicious with juicy chunks of chicken simmered in a sweet and spicy brown sugar sauce, a one-pan meal.
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast cut into bite-sized chunks, or use chicken thighs
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh minced ginger
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil or use vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup bourbon use apple juice as a non-alcoholic substitute
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes optional for a touch of heat, or to taste
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon water
- For Garnish: Chopped scallions/green onions spicy chili flakes
Heat the sesame oil together in a wok or pan to medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until they begin to turn golden brown.
Add the garlic and ginger and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds.
Whisk together the soy sauce, bourbon, brown sugar, vinegar and red pepper flakes in a medium bowl. Pour the sauce into the wok or pan and reduce heat. Simmer for 10 minutes to cook off the alcohol from the bourbon and cook the chicken through.
Whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Stir it into the pan and cook for 1-2 minutes, until the sauce thickens to your preference. You can use a bit more cornstarch for a thicker sauce.
Garnish and serve! I love mine over steamed rice, or with noodles!
For a thicker sauce, add an extra teaspoon or more of cornstarch slurry to the sauce.
Heat Factor: Mild-Medium, though you can spice things up with more chili flakes.
Calories estimated without rice or noodles.
Calories: 267kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 26g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 73mg | Sodium: 955mg | Potassium: 495mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 182IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 26mg | Iron: 1mg