Queso Dip Recipe
This queso dip recipe is the perfect gooey cheese dip and so easy to make with lots of melted cheese, jalapenos, tomatoes and spices. Don't forget the chips!
- 8 ounces white cheddar cheese or other melty cheese - this recipe will work with any melty cheese. See the recipe notes section.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 jalapeno peppers diced
- 1 small onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium tomato chopped (or use cherry tomatoes)
- 5 ounces diced roasted peppers use canned, or roast your own favorite peppers - I am using roasted Hatch peppers
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 12 ounces evaporated milk canned - or use can use milk or cream
- Hot sauce to taste
- For Serving: Extra diced tomatoes, sliced peppers, red chili flakes, fresh chopped cilantro, crispy tortilla chips
Heat the oil in a large pan or medium pot to medium heat. Add the jalapenos and onion and cook for 3-4 minutes to soften.
Add the garlic and cook another 1 minute, until the garlic becomes fragrant.
Add the tomatoes, roasted peppers, cayenne, paprika, cumin and salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 2 minutes to break down the tomatoes.
Stir together the cornstarch and evaporated milk until well incorporated, then pour into the pan. Add hot sauce to taste.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.
Stir in the shredded cheese a handful at a time, continually stirring, until it is melted through and well incorporated.
Remove from heat and top with extra diced tomatoes, sliced peppers, red chili flakes, fresh chopped cilantro.
Serve with tortilla chips!
Cheese. You can use other melty cheeses to make queso dip. Other choices include pepper jack, Monterrey jack, yellow cheddar, American, Velveeta and others. Try Mexican cheeses like cotija, asadero, chihuahua or oaxaca for more of a Mexican cheese dip. Or use a combination.
Block Cheese is Best. It is best to shred your own cheese for the perfect queso dip. Pre-shredded cheeses do not always melt as consistently due to added anti-clumping preservatives.
Nutritional information estimated without tortilla chips or extra garnish.
Calories: 138kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 28mg | Sodium: 311mg | Potassium: 178mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 582IU | Vitamin C: 11mg | Calcium: 222mg | Iron: 1mg