Mie Goreng (Indonesian Stir Fry Noodles)
This mie goreng recipe is an irresistible dish of stir fry noodles tossed in a sweet and savory sauce with shrimp and spicy accents, popular all across Indonesia.
FOR THE MIE GORENG SAUCE
- 1/4 cup sweet soy sauce kecap manis
- 1.5 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
FOR THE STIR FRY NOODLES
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 stalks green onion chopped
- 1-2 spicy red chili peppers chopped (optional, for additional heat)
- 6 garlic cloves chopped
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp deveined with tails on
- 2 cups shredded cabbage or use bok choy
- 12 ounces dried egg noodles
- 1 cup fresh bean sprouts
- FOR SERVING: Crispy shallots/onion, red chili flakes, chopped green onion, lime wedges
MAKE THE MIE GORENG SAUCE
MAKE THE MIE GORENG (STIR FRY NOODLES)
Boil the noodles in hot water according to packaging directions, about 4-5 minutes, until softened. Drain and set aside.
While the noodles are boiling, heat the oil in a wok or large pan to medium heat. Add the green onion, chilies, garlic and shrimp. Stir fry for 30 seconds, or until the shrimp are partly cooked through.
Add the shredded cabbage and stir fry 1 minute to slightly soften.
Add the prepared noodles and toss.
Stir in the mie goreng sauce and stir fry the noodles to evenly coat.
Stir in the fresh bean sprouts and serve into bowls.
Garnish with crispy shallots or onion, red chili flakes, green onion and lime wedges. Enjoy.
Calories: 234kcal | Carbohydrates: 47g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 879mg | Potassium: 163mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 144IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 34mg | Iron: 3mg