Gumbo Z’Herbes - aka Green Gumbo - Recipe
A classic Cajun recipe for green gumbo, aka "Gumbo Z'Herbes", made with your choice of chopped greens, from collards, mustard, turnip, chard, you name it. It is traditionally vegetarian, though you can add andouille and smoked ham if desired.
- 3/4 cup peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 serrano peppers chopped
- 1 onion chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 bay leaves
- 3 tablespoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 tablespoon cayenne powder
- 6 ounces andouille sliced into ¼ inch slices (optional)
- 6 ounces smoked ham diced (optional)
- 6 cups vegetable stock or chicken stock for non-vegetarian
- 2 pounds mixed greens – collards, mustard, turnip, chard, dandelion, etc.
- 1 tablespoon file powder or to taste
- Cooked white rice for serving if desired
Add peanut oil to a large pot and heat to medium heat. Add flour and stir. Cook for 20-30 minutes, constantly stirring, until the roux browns to the color of chocolate.
Add peppers, onion and celery. Stir and cook about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, andouille and smoke ham (if using). Cook another minute.
Add Cajun seasoning, cayenne and stock. Stir to incorporate.
Mix in chopped greens. Cover and cook 90 minutes, until greens are very tender.
Remove from heat and stir in file powder.
Serve over white rice if preferred, or straight into a bowl.
Calories: 487kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 37g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 37mg | Sodium: 1592mg | Potassium: 650mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5000IU | Vitamin C: 64.5mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3.4mg