Homemade Italian Giardiniera Recipe (Classic Antipasto)
This Italian giardiniera recipe is the perfect appetizer for your antipasto platter, with loads of garden fresh vegetables tossed in a seasoned vinaigrette. Lots of peppers!
- 2 bell peppers sliced. Use colorful peppers - you can also use sweet peppers
- 2 jalapeno peppers sliced
- 2 serrano peppers (Optional, for a hotter version)
- 2 medium carrots chopped
- 2 celery stalks chopped
- 2 cups cauliflower florets (about 1/2 head of cauliflower)
- 1/2 cup salt
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- Ground pepper
- 1 cup of white vinegar or half white and half apple cider vinegar
- 1 cup olive oil + more as needed
To a large bowl, add all of the peppers with carrot, celery and cauliflower. Sprinkle with salt. Cover with water and refrigerate for 12 hours, covered.
Drain and rinse away the brine. Set aside.
In a separate bowl, add garlic, basil, celery seed and ground pepper to taste. Add vinegar and oil and whisk to combine.
Add to your vegetable mixture.
Place it all into jars, ensuring the vegetables are covered with your vinegar/oil mixture.
Refrigerate at least 2 days before using, to allow flavors to mingle. A week is better! Should last you 2-3 weeks.
Calories: 38kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 4735mg | Potassium: 158mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 2384IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 22mg | Iron: 1mg