Sweet and Savory Chili Sauce Recipe
A recipe for all-purpose homemade chili sauce that is both sweet and savory, made with plenty of chili peppers, tomato, pineapple juice and tons of seasonings.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium sized carrot peeled and diced
- 1 medium sweet onion peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery diced
- 2 cups pureed sweet chili peppers – NOTE: I used 2 cups of peppers that were preserved in vinegar and it worked out GREAT. If you have fresh peppers puree them up with a bit of vinegar to ease the process. If you have preserved peppers, just puree them up until you have 2 cups worth.
- ½ cup red wine vinegar use a bit less if processing the peppers above with vinegar
- 1 cup water or chicken broth
- 6 ounces tomato puree
- 6 ounces pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano.
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- ½ teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 tablespoon mustard powder
- 1 tablespoon ginger powder
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Salt to taste
Heat a very large pan or pot to medium heat and add olive oil with carrot, onion and celery. Cook about 5-6 minutes, stirring a bit, to soften them up.
Add the remaining ingredients and stir.
Bring to a quick boil, then reduce heat to a simmer. Cook for 30 minutes.
Transfer to a food processor and process until you have a nice pureed sauce, or try a stick blender.
Transfer to bottles or jars for keeping. Use this as a sauce, a hot sauce, a sauce base, etc.
Calories: 72kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 2g | Sodium: 23mg | Potassium: 334mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1770IU | Vitamin C: 59.9mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1.7mg