– Slice the flank steak into pieces and set them into a large pot with the carrot, onion, pepper, garlic, allspice, salt, pepper, cloves and bay leaves. Add water and bring to boil.
– Reduce the heat and simmer until the beef becomes tender and can easily be shredded with a fork. Cool a bit and remove the beef. Shred and set aside.
– Strain the broth, but reserve some.
– Heat the olive oil in a pot and add the onion and bell pepper. Cook down to soften.
– Add garlic, oregano, ground cloves, allspice, and tomato paste. Cook, stirring.
– Add white wine, braising liquid and reserved shredded beef. Add a bit of salt and pepper as well if you’d like.
– Raise the heat a bit and let the whole mix simmer.
– Serve the Cuban shredded beef over rice topped with roasted red pepper, parsley and freshly squeezed lime juice.