Fish Tacos Recipe
This is my favorite fish tacos recipe, with seasoned pan seared white fish, crunchy ribbons of slaw, avocado and creamy homemade fish taco sauce. Huge on flavor and easy to make!
Servings: 6 tacos
FOR THE SLAW
- 1/4 small head red cabbage shredded
- 1/4 head small green cabbage shredded
- 1 roasted jalapeno peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- Juice from 1 large lime
- 2 tablespoons champagne vinegar use white vinegar as a substitute
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Sea salt to taste
FOR THE FISH TACO SAUCE
- ½ cup mayo
- ½ cup Mexican crema or use sour cream
- 1 tablespoon lime juice about ½ a small lime
- 1 teaspoon of your favorite hot sauce sriracha is great here
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder or 1-2 fresh cloves minced
- Pinch of salt
FOR THE FISH TACOS
- 1-1/4 pounds red snapper sub in your favorite white fish
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 flour tortillas warmed
- 1 avocado sliced
- EXTRA TOPPINGS: Sliced roasted jalapeno peppers or chiles toreados fresh squeezed lime, your favorite hot sauce
MAKE THE SLAW
Toss together the shredded red cabbage, shredded green cabbage, roasted jalapeno, cilantro, lime juice, vinegar, honey and salt in a large bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
MAKE THE FISH TACO SAUCE
Whisk together the mayo, crema, lime juice, hot sauce, garlic and salt in a small bowl. Refrigerate until ready to use.
MAKE THE FISH TACOS
Remove the skin from the fish and slice the fish into strips. Mix together the seasonings in a small bowl and sprinkle it over the sliced fish.
Heat the oil in a pan to medium heat and add the fish. Cook gently for 5 minutes, turning the fish every minute, until it is cooked through. Remove from heat.
Serve the pieces of fish onto warmed tortillas, then top with sliced avocado, crunchy cabbage slaw and dollops of creamy fish taco sauce. Don't forget the hot sauce!
Store any extra fish tacos sauce in the fridge in a sealed container. Will last several weeks.
This works with any white fish. Some of my very favorites are red snapper, halibut, grouper and monkfish.
Calories: 385kcal | Carbohydrates: 29g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 25mg | Sodium: 456mg | Potassium: 483mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 878IU | Vitamin C: 42mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 2mg